Hi Dan,

Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
I am not sure that you grasp the enormity of the task at hand. However, I don't
want to discourage you. Unlike others, I would appreciate a stupid translator
that replaces a word by a word. It would be wonderful to have a free software
that is as bad Google or babelfish. I would LOVE to have a free too to make fun
about. Now we have nothing.

So go on and get to work. Note that if I were you, I'd set myself a more
realistic goals first. In a way, I am you: when we set out to write hspell we
had dreams of a linguistic future. I hope that the huge list that we collected,
of almost all modern Hebrew words, will be useful to you.

Thanks for encouraging me (if you are not being cynical).

The database you describe here is not dissimilar to WordNet, and I am told that
few list members are trying to extend the Hebrew WordNet. Maybe you can join
them.

Are the Hspell and WordNet databases available to use?  Can you send me
links?  I'll be glad to contribute if I can, but my focus is not on any
specific language (Hebrew) but on translating in general.  My idea is to
create something like Wikipedia (but for translations), and yes, I
understand how huge the task is.

If there is any database I can use, which contains texts (or words,
phrases) and their translations, please let me know.  I would like to
start with something.

Of course, it must be a database which is free to use without legal
problems.

Best Regards,

Uri Even-Chen
Speedy Net