I don´t know about servers, but I have experience on Desktop using.
I recommend Debian Etch. It is stable, simple to use and install and it
has a bunch of software well actualized with many maintainers. It also
has a lot of both community and private support. However, Etch is still
on Beta until December and the current Debian stable, sagger, is not so
actualized. I use Debian in my laptop.
Ubuntu is very similar to Etch and it supposed to be simpler to use and
install, also it comes in a single CD, but it shows a much poorer
performance than Debian does.
I use Fedora, the¨ free¨ Red Hat, at home and I do not recommend it, at
least for desktop use. Short life span, few programs or not so
actualized and poor performance.
Julian

--
Julian Daich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>