On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 23:43:57 +0200
Julian Daich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This week I have the opportunity to connect a new Linux PC to the
> Internet with Bezeq´s ADSL via an Adtech( or whatever it is called) 600
> modem/ ruter. I was surprised to find that there are not instructions of
> how to set the ruter, instead they( Bezeq) give you a CD with a program
> for Window to configure a dialer and a booklet of how to install and
> configure that program which in fact is more complicate that doing
> 138.0.0.10 from your browser from any OS and set Admin as username and
> password as I did to configure the ruter. After examining the booklet
> with more detail I found within the technical requirements to have an at
> least 233Mhz which I suspect is to much requirement for a simple dialer.
> I´m trying to understand why Bezeq try to force users to use these
> dialers since it is more complicate to users, uses too much computer

It's usually less complicated to users since the dialer they supply already
includes the settings (except username and password), the technician who
installs the network for you (and usually doesn't know much) doesn't have to
know the modem, the process is mostly the same for "dumb" or at least "dumber"
modems, they can delegate the setup work to the isp, ignore calls by linux and
mac users, have network errors with numbers that they can look up in the book
to guide and probably due to being Conservative.

I don't think vpn is the reason since up till two weeks ago when I still used
bezeq and not hot (just moved), I used pppoe and not vpn and unlike cable where
you can listen on your neighbors, since you have your own line to the atm router
and your vpn/vcn define where you are calling and from where.

It's more of an easier management for barely trained help desk people.