try DAR (Disk ARchiver), should be a good one although doesn't ship standardly with Linux.
http://dar.sf.net or just apt-get install dar.

The term for splitting files is called 'slice'.

- Oren

Tzahi Fadida wrote:
Hi,
I wish to archive a 50mb file into several parts of 5mb files in linux.
I also need to be able to open the files in windows.
For some unknown reason, i can't find a way (other than using a non-free rar) to do this. I tried zipsplit but it says something about the file being too large or something like this.
I tried 7z but after about 12% of archiving it gives a weird error:
"Error:

System error:
Too many open files "
(and this file was never opened :).

What can i do?

Also, i am trying to backup my files (many thousands of them). is there a way to cause tar or something else not to use a local tmp directory (since i don't have enough room) and also, it seems to eat too much memory till my kde programs starts to close.
10x.