On 19/02/07, Tzahi Fadida <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Monday 19 February 2007 05:26, Amos Shapira wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to configure PostgresQL to use raw disk partition, like
> Oracle does?
> If not - is there any recommendation for favourite filesystem type to
use?

Most certainly not.
PostgreSQL relies on the OS and FileSystems it inhabits for all I/O
operations. Raw partition are not worth the extra effort anycase on an OS
such as linux which is already efficient with files and extents of those
files. If you want you can use XFS to increase efficiency at the expense
of

Well I didn't expect Postgres to do the actual SCSI calls to the disk, but I
sort of guess that since all the database needs from the OS is a bunch of
disk blocks and the database "file" can be usually pre-allocated, it might
be possible to do away from the complexity (and time penalty) of a FS which
assumes that files have to be created/resized/removed all the time. That's
the way Oracle databases at least used to be configured for many years
(taking the update from Ira into account).

more chance for data loss in case of a crash since it has a large caching
mechanisms. You can also use raid to increase performance. Additionally
you
may try to put the transactions log, which is the bottleneck in databases,
on
a ram memory that is backed by a battery. I think i saw a battery PCI card
at
asus for 50$. Add 128mb ram and you are good to go.

That (battey-backed RAM) sounds like a good tip. Will keep it around.
Thanks. If you have more specific details to help Google for such a product
I'll appreciate to hear them.

Cheers,

--Amos