On 21/02/07, Tzahi Fadida <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Depends. Sometimes queries takes longer. However it is not the point.
The reason for backupping once in a while is for PITR - point in time
recovery
which is a new facility in PostgreSQL 8+. I am not an expert on this
subject
but IIRC, imagine you backupped the database at 8am. At 9am the database
crashed. The data at the database is too corrupt due to various insane
reasons you can conjure in your mind. However, the transaction log
survived.
It turns out, it kept all the transactions back to 8am when you backed up
your
database. YAY!, you can basically rerun all the transactions from that
time
using the log and reconstruct the database.

Hmm, I see your point.

How about creating a RAID 1 (mirror) volume with that "disk" as one of its
sides? That way you get automatic instant backup. I assume the write to the
RAID will be as fast as the fastest side.

--Amos