On 3/2/07, Peleg Wasserman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

First of all what do you consider pornography?

What does that matter? There is a building full of elected officials and
appointed commisions who will decide what is considered pornography after
which an entire system of judges will interpret the law as issues arise. The
same way they decided that it was legal to drive 80km/h on a intercity road
without a separation, etc.

Second, why is it the job of the government to tell it's citizens what
is ok for them to access, and let their children see, and what isn't?

The short answer is that you elected them to do exactly that. You elected
them to make laws as they see fit. If you don't like the laws they make,
don't vote for them again.

The long answer is that government, especially democracy, is about
sacrificing some personal freedoms for the sake of a more organized society.
It is a social contract which binds everyone. Everyone agrees to submit to
having speed limits enforced so that an idiot doesn't crash into them at
150km/h. Everyone agrees to go to jail for murder so that people won't
murder them, etc. Everyone elects a government and they decide the rules.

Of course you will always have those who disagree and they can either choose
to follow the rules anyway, or face the consequences if they are caught.

While any parent who wants to limit his children's access to the
Internet can do it quite easily, as can be done by any ISP, the problem
is not with what kids can see, but how they react to this.
I would rather have the government spend it's money on giving kids
sex-ed classes, and educating them, and leaving the decision on what
they can see to their parents.

This is not as easy as you suggest- it is not simple at all to filter such
content. And there is no way for a parent to control all of a childs
internet access (school, phone, home, neighbor's wireless). By putting the
block on the ISP level, you have a much more effective means of control.

Is it me or is there a constant shift of responsibility for the kids
from parents to the state?
Who can guarantee that the next law to be passed won't limit our access
to information about other religions because it falls withing the law
forbidding the spread of other religions? or limit access to foreign
news sevices because they depict the current state of affairs in a way
that doesn't suit the government?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the current government and I certainly
didn't vote for them, but there is nothing that stops the government from
doing what you say and if they decide to do such a thing then apparently the
majority of people around you would either choose to do something similar
or they wouldn't care. Maybe you're just in the wrong country?
-Yonah