On 3/3/07, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Yonah Russ wrote:
> adults. If a parent really want's they're kids looking at porn sites,
> they'll give them their password.

Correct. And since they should have their own passwords and email why
not buy them an internet account from an ISP that provides filtered
service.

Implementing password access at a cafe etc is impossible and
undesirable, as everyone uses NAT and appears as one user.

Actually- I know one of the developers of the Estonian online voting
technology which identifies each voter based on a physical smart card and a
password. which is exactly what is being discussed here- physical/biometric
+password. I guess it's not too impossible to have a proxy at the ISP filter
and require these forms of identification and I don't see why NAT makes a
difference. Anyway- from what I hear, Internet cafe's are one of the more
popular places in Estonia to vote.

The filter
would have to run at the cafe and provide differential login by age, and
the filter would have to be updated every second as new sites are
created. Public places are public because they are public. That includes
airports, hotel lounges etc. Besides, are you aware of a url known as
http://www.the-cloak.com ? There are thousands like it, and those used
in China, NK etc also use encryption to make sure that no comrade or
mullah from the thought police catches them.

Of course I'm aware of them- and there are much more effective ways to
bypass filters.

I would guess that ISP's showing logs that such a method was used could win
a lawsuit against them claiming plausible deniability.  I would also guess
that the ISP's would be allowed some degree of error as long as they didn't
show blatent negligence, ie. not blocking an obviously offensive site after
someone complained.

I've implemented several systems of this sort and you don't have to tell me
that it's an uphill battle. I once blocked the municipality of Raanana or
something like that because it's website was on shared hosting with a porn
site (so goes the very small hosting business in Israel). Still, I don't
have a problem with any law that attempts to fight that battle.
-Yonah

You cannot police a country because x teenagers might look at something,
and you cannot police the internet in the first place because you so
decided. So far the only means that have proven succesfull for muzzling
servers have been legal. Places were shut down, servers confiscated. Two
weeks later they started operating again from offshore servers, with
multi-homing and backup servers in case some crazy commandos jump their
new site somehow.

Peter