On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Yonah Russ wrote:

On 3/3/07, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Yonah Russ wrote:
> adults. If a parent really want's they're kids looking at porn sites,
> they'll give them their password.

Correct. And since they should have their own passwords and email why
not buy them an internet account from an ISP that provides filtered
service.

Implementing password access at a cafe etc is impossible and
undesirable, as everyone uses NAT and appears as one user.

Actually- I know one of the developers of the Estonian online voting
technology which identifies each voter based on a physical smart card and a
password. which is exactly what is being discussed here- physical/biometric
+password. I guess it's not too impossible to have a proxy at the ISP filter
and require these forms of identification and I don't see why NAT makes a
difference. Anyway- from what I hear, Internet cafe's are one of the more
popular places in Estonia to vote.

You are confusing a one to one relationship (surfer to voting center) with a one to many one (surfer vs. potentially an infinity or URLs).

I've implemented several systems of this sort and you don't have to tell me
that it's an uphill battle. I once blocked the municipality of Raanana or
something like that because it's website was on shared hosting with a porn
site (so goes the very small hosting business in Israel). Still, I don't
have a problem with any law that attempts to fight that battle.

Nor with the costs ? With the stupid childish mandatory software made by a company with 'exclusive' rights that happens to work only on Windows ? With the unceasing technical problems ? With crashed sessions when you try to surf your bank account the 7th time because the authentication software clashes with some gizmo you recently installed without knowing ?

You are a technical person, you know what kind of pain it means to keep almost a million computers 'clean'. It requires 6*9. What software is 6*9 ?! Even without the definition of porn being what it is.

And if you want to know what happens when things go wrong, here is an example from the land of all possibilities and freedom of speech, which has implemented a similar law in public libraries. A small mistake happened. Read on:

  http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article1464355.ece

Oops, wrong popup ad from our trusty affiliates over whom we have almost no control. Now you popdown to jail for 40 years or so. So much for 'flexibility'. I leave it to your imagination what happens if such a thing occurs to an ISP or newspaper or magazine website after the law is implemented (even disregarding the possibility of someone doing it deliberately to cause trouble).

Peter