On Sunday, 8 בApril 2007 01:16, Amos Shapira wrote:
> Sticking to supported versions is rule number one in production networks
> (and plan ahead to switch to a later version well before the current one you
> use get's EOL'ed).

Correct. Ori used FC2, while FC4 is already EOL many months.

> As far as I'm aware FC is just a beta for RedHat and I'm not even
> sure they promise to issue security patches for it.

That's FUD. RedHat sponsors Fedora, but the project issues its own
releases and patches.

> By "supported" I mean that the distro vendor promises to track the
> relevant security vulnerabilities in the included software and issue
> patched packages in a timely manner.

Fedora do this promptly like any other free software distro
(yes, I am a Fedora user as you can feel ;-)

> (Again - I'm not quite familiar with FC or RH but Debian makes all these
> suggestions uber easy).

I run 'yum update' daily (you can do it via cron of course, but I
prefer to do it manually).

For production server you should reconsider your distribution of choice:
Fedora is a fast paced distro like Debian testing, you get most
bleeding edge software (that's why I stick with it) but you pay
in almost daily updates and a short life cycle -- new release
every 6 months and good maintenance of only 1.5 releases (~1 year).

If you aim at free distribution with long term updates than you
may either switch to Centos (a RedHat clone, so your learning
curve should be easier), or switch to Debian stable (hmmmm...
there's no point installing Sarge now, and Etch is due RSN(tm).

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  http://www.actcom.co.il/~oron
ICQ UIN: 16527398

"Software is like Entropy: it's hard to grasp, weighs nothing and obeys
the Second Law of Thermodynamics, i.e. it always increases"
        -- Norman Augustine