On 4/24/07, Nadav Har'El <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You said that "I came to a conclusion that ANY well-defined function can
be
computed in polynomial time (in theory).", but this is NOT true on a
deterministic Turing Machine. For various algorithms, it is very easy to
prove that they are *NOT* in P, i.e., there cannot be any polynomial-time
algorithm. Such are algorithms which require exponential computation time
(I'm sure you can think of some).

Actually, courtesy of Galois we know functions which are well defined, that
can be easily verified and not computed efficiently - the roots of general
polynomials over R of degree > 4. Specifically, to incorporate this problem
to the Turing model, you must assume that the machine can work with real
numbers (over bits), which is not the case. But when you define a
"Real-number turing machine" you get that for this machine P is not equal to
NP.

However, as Nadav said, the question P = NP? is defined over a turing
machine with bits as the building blocks (the values on the infinite
string).

Orr.

--
Orr Dunkelman,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Any human thing supposed to be complete, must for that reason infallibly
be faulty" -- Herman Melville, Moby Dick.

GPG fingerprint: C2D5 C6D6 9A24 9A95 C5B3  2023 6CAB 4A7C B73F D0AA
(This key will never sign Emails, only other PGP keys. The key corresponds
to [EMAIL PROTECTED])