On 4/24/07, Orr Dunkelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Actually, courtesy of Galois we know functions which are well defined, that
can be easily verified and not computed efficiently - the roots of general
polynomials over R of degree > 4. Specifically, to incorporate this problem
to the Turing model, you must assume that the machine can work with real
numbers (over bits), which is not the case. But when you define a
"Real-number turing machine" you get that for this machine P is not equal to
NP.

I haven't thouht much about deterministic infinite-numbers turing
machines.  I don't know how consistent such a theory can be.  I assume
any theory or field of numbers can prove itself to be inconsistent, if
it can express something like "this sentence is true if and only if
this sentence is false".  But if such a turing machine exists even in
theory (and I don't think it does), it appears to be a very strong
computation system to me.  It can solve all the problems in the
universe in one single step, compute an infinite number of decision
functions as once.

Uri.