Kfir

What exactly are you trying to achieve by encrypting email - are you trying
to encrypt business communications between employees and vendors/customers
to protect from eavesdroppers or do you want to encrypt the message
repository and protect it from attackers?

Before you start applying encryption as a panacea do a little threat
analysis first.  Ask yourself - what assets are you trying to protect, what
are the threats and what are your vulnerabilities.

My experience with extrusion prevention with a fair number of customers has
shown the following:

a. It's  better to use outgoing email in clear text because 1) you can
monitor what people are doing  and 2) having  a business partner
decrypt/encrypt is generally a pain in the ass that is greater than the
value of the business transaction.

b. If you have high-value business communications between your company and
vendors - you are better off just encrypting  the file (for example a
sensitive contract or product design doc) and sending  the encrypted
attachment.  This will enable you to monitor who is sending and who is
receiving and with the right monitoring system - you will be able to detect
that an encrypted file was sent which is interesting information in it's own
right.

Read my blog entry on this topic
http://www.software.co.il/blog/2007/06/secure_communications_without_1.html

Best regards