Michael

GPG is pretty good and you can use it with kmail (in kde) or as a plugin
(enigmail) with Thunderbird. I think there is a plugin for Squirrelmail and
then there are plugins for postfix and qmail-scanner if you use one of those
guys

Personally - I like to figure out my risk and then compare it to how much it
will cost me to setup a countermeasure (like encryption) and maintain it.

- what are you trying to achieve ?

You have to identify the threats and vulnerabilities of your email and then
work to mitigate the risk.
For example if you are exchanging  non-sensitive information with customers
why bother encrypting at all?

If you have notebooks - you should definitely be worried that one of them
might be lost or stolen and then you might have trouble

For that - look at TrueCrypt- and definitely stay away from Aliroo which is
a piece of sh-t.

Read my blog entry on this topic
 http://www.software.co.il/blog/2007/06/secure_communications_without_1.html

Best regards