Thanks to everyone for his/her suggestions.

I THINK the problem was permissions on /dev/sg[01], although I have no idea
how the permissions could have changed, and I sure don't see why such a
problem should cause a complete system hang !

Have a great day !

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,    |  Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward   |