On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 19:56 +0300, Oron Peled wrote:
> On Monday, 25 בAugust 2008, Amos Shapira wrote:
> > Since there are always swings around about "best linux support" which
> > I didn't follow, what's the order of the day? Should go with nVidia,
> > AMD or maybe Intel? Any specific card families/models?
[... snipped ...]
> * My second choice today would be ATI cards:
>     1. As someone else mentioned older (e.g: r300) chipsets have
>        pretty good support in the FOSS driver (including
>        simple 3D, compiz etc.)
>     2. AMD/ATI released hardware specs last year and started
>        cooperating with FOSS community, which is significant for
>        the newer cards (http://www.x.org/docs/AMD)
>     3. Because of (2.), there is better support for modern cards
>        on the pipe. Specifically, David Airlie (one of X.org developers
>        from Red Hat) already announced not long ago about major
>        improvements in r500/r600 chipsets. This is bleeding edge
>        source in his git repository, but it is reasonable to expect
>        this code to land within 6-12 months in fast paced distros
>        (Debian testing, Fedora, etc.)

Sorry, but the 2nd and 3rd reasons to choose ATI exist in the future
rather than today.

If Amos Shapira can wait a year, then let him buy ATI a year from now.
But if he needs a solution today, then several of the above promises are
not relevant for him.
                                         --- Omer

--
Never let beliefs, God or Gods incite war and hatred among human beings.

I may be affiliated in any way.