On Wednesday 08 October 2008, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> If you ISP supports it (Barak does) you can use DHCP instead of
> L2TP/PPTP.
> In this case, you router no longer needs to do anything (beyond NAT)
Thanks, but maybe my question wasn't clear enough. In the past, I did pptp and
NAT on my Linux box and shared my internet connection over the entire
network. Since I bought an ADSL router from Bezek, everything is
literaly "plug and play" on all Linux and Windows machines. I have the router
set up to provide internal IP addresses to each machine and absolutely no set
is required when  adding or upgrading a machine. It's so "easy" that I don't
want to go back to the old way (administering the pptp and NAT on my
machine). So my question is really, can I do the same with cable? Of course,
I know I'd need to get a cable modem from HOT, but would it just plug into
the router or what? Of course, the ADSL component of the router would be
useless, but I'm assuming (and here I may be wrong) that I could still use
the same router after plugging the cable modem into it.

On Wednesday 08 October 2008, sara fink wrote:
> Don't do the mistake to move to Hot. It will be the mistake of your life.
> Lots of disconnections,  old modems, bad service, over charging,waiting  on
> the phone line at least 20 min).

WOW - there couldn't be more conflicting opinions. Did one of the two (Gilboa
and Sara) have unusually good or bad luck? Can anyone else give an opinion?
Since this may be a bit OT, you can answer directly to me, instead of to the
list. If it's of interest, I'll try to summarize the opinions I get.

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net