On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 11:43:55AM +0200, Shlomo Solomon wrote:

easier to manage and use /etc/hosts), I added the MAC addresses of all machines to the "reserved IP address" list and specified what IP to give each. This gives me 2 advantages:
1 - constant IPs on the network
2 - If needed, I can add an unknown computer (for example, if I have a guest who wants to connect) and DHCP does the rest with no additional setup.

I was referring to MPLS, which someone mistakenly called DHCP, from HOT.
HOT always uses DHCP to give your router an address and route information,
whether you use DHCP on your side is up to you.

As mentioned before, I bought the router from Bezeq, so it should be OK. It's a Siemens SL2-141)

Don't know, anyone else?

I don't know what "lots of P2P" means, but I don't do much and haven't noticed any problems with ADSL, so I assume there would be no change with HOT (or am I wrong?)

I don't know either. If it works with the router you are using now, and the
router stays the same, then there should be no problem.

If I wasn't clear, I'm talking about a home network (and my current connection is ADSL 1.5), so the added cost is probably not justified (especially since the HOT "triple" deal is one of the reasons I'm considering the move) - in addition to the fact that Bezeq seriously pissed me off recently, but that's a story for another day :-)

Ok, I was just suggesting it if you wanted better support than the usual
customer.

As for the phone deal, it's ok, but there are better and cheaper deals depending on what call quality you want, and where you want to call. To replace a BEZEQ line, it's a good deal and does not use their infrastructure.

The 012 BEZEQ replacement deal isn't really, they still install an aDSL line
and router, but you can't use them. Nor do you pay for them.
For example, the VoIP company I use provides a US incoming number, an Israeli
incoming number, "unlimited" (which really means 2500 minutes a month total)
calls to US/Canada and landlines some other places, including Israel for around $40 a month.

They have Israeli service and support, and are very well connected to
Netvision/013. I don't know about others, but I have been told they are
well connected to the other ISP's too. Their CTO is a friend of mine and
a lurker on this list.

He's willing to arrange custom deals if you make more calls, want incoming
numbers in other countries and so on. Email me off list and I'll forward it
to him, to avoid this becoming a commercial.

If you have such calling needs it's a good deal, if all you want is to make
a few calls a month or get a few incoming ones, it's not. In that case
I suggest you get an Orange Big Talk SIM, a cheap used phone and leave it at home.

SKYPE has a deal for $6 a month for up to 10,000 minutes to one country
and $12 for "the world" (30 countries), but it's SKYPE, which to me makes
it undesirable due to call quality. Note the unlimited call packages have
one included incoming number, but NOT in Israel and you have to take the
package first and then get the number.
Someone I know did know about the package and is paying the same price for
a US incoming number with no included calls as the entire package. She
has to wait what she pre-paid to expire before switching.

BTW, a posting to a local "Anglo" mailing list about MagicJack turned
out to be astroturfing. When I wrote the guy who posted it, it turned
out he was in New York, never used the thing in Israel, had gotten a
free unit and service and never read anything about it except from their
web site. None of which was in his posting. :-(

The whole thing also collapses if you want to send or receive faxes. AFAIK
no one has ever been able to use a fax using VoIP over cable here, and HOT
support told me it does not work when I called and asked for advice. It DOES work on a HOT voice line, it's not VoIP.
Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM