On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 09:20:58AM +0200, Shlomo Solomon wrote:
Thanks, but maybe my question wasn't clear enough. In the past, I did pptp and NAT on my Linux box and shared my internet connection over the entire network. Since I bought an ADSL router from Bezek, everything is literaly "plug and play" on all Linux and Windows machines. I have the router set up to provide internal IP addresses to each machine and absolutely no set is required when adding or upgrading a machine. It's so "easy" that I don't want to go back to the old way (administering the pptp and NAT on my machine). So my question is really, can I do the same with cable? Of course, I know I'd need to get a cable modem from HOT, but would it just plug into the router or what? Of course, the ADSL component of the router would be useless, but I'm assuming (and here I may be wrong) that I could still use the same router after plugging the cable modem into it.

First of all, you do not want to use DHCP. The actual name of what is hapening
is called MPLS and it to be blunt sucks. The extra overhead of a pptp or
more likely l2tp tunnel is IMHO worth it, although if you are at the edge
of latency problems it will agrevate them.

Your router probably will work with no changes, except that some routers
sold for use in the US or EU won't. It's because the tunneling host and subnet gateway are always the same IP address there and they are different here.
I simply can't guess without any information about which router you have,
but a 250 NIS WiFi one you buy here will work if the old one won't.

The biggest problem you will have is that the router does not have enough
RAM for big routing tables, so if you do lots of P2P, it will have problems.

As for reliability, service and speed, the best thing to do is to call
HOT and ask for their business internet sales office. They offer higher speeds, better reliabilty and they will come and fix problems a lot better
and a lot quicker than a consumer connection. The only downfall besides the
slightly higher price is that they will not let you combine a business class
connection with basic cable and a voice line for a cheap price.
Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM