On Thursday, 18 בDecember 2008, Erez D wrote:
> i have recently bought a new computer. my old one had nvidia , and my new
> has ati 4550 passive.
> ... [rest of horror story omitted]

This is a typical usage scenario for binary "add-on" drivers
(just google for e.g: ubuntu madwifi)

What is more interesting is how much had actually advanced in the
radeonhd (new free software ATI driver):
 - Docs are freely available since end of 2007:
   http://developer.amd.com/documentation/Pages/default.aspx
 - You can verify that there is *ongoing* work:
   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/log/
 - The developers ask for testing:
   http://airlied.livejournal.com/60180.html
   Generaly David Airlie's blog (http://airlied.livejournal.com/)
   has a lot of info about radeonhd.

The simplest test is to boot Fedora-10 Live-CD. It contains
support for Kernel-Mode-Setting for some ATI chipsets. The
minimal things to check (IMO) are:
 - If the boot is graphical and transition smoothly into
   the login screen (will only happen on KMS supported chipets).
 - If after login you can activate desktop-effects (depends on
   3D acceleration).

If you can test these and send /var/log/Xorg.0.log we would all be
greatfull to you. TIA.

o...@actcom.co.il                  http://www.actcom.co.il/~oron
"LINUX is tied fairly closely to the 80x86. Not the way to go."
        - LINUX is obsolete, Andy Tanenbaum, 29 Jan 92.