Erez,

The latest versions of Ubuntu, as well as Fedora and OpenSuSE 11.x use
the latest Xorg server which *does not* need the /etc/xorg.conf file.
Everything regarding the card is being done automatically (probing
etc), so when you install Fedora 10 for example, you won't find this
file.

I assume that ATI tools do try to find this file, do a bit of parsing
and modifying it. Since its not there, I suggest you re-create it with
your distribution specific tools. "X --configure" creates a really
messy file. Try to create a file with a settings for the open source
driver, and then feed this to the atitool.

It's really not the sweatiest land here in NVidia world. I'm using a
Windows XP machine here for some tests with Geforce 8500 1GB RAM and
I'm testing some VMWare stuff. I spent a whole day to find something
which is so simple with ATI: When a program sits on another
non-primary monitor, when you make it full screen, it should be full
screen on *that* monitor (VMWare full screen, not maximized window)
and *not* on primary monitor. ATI have this function working for years
in windows and guess what? not possible in NVidia's "twinview" mode.
You can use the nView crappy stuff, but still vmware insists open full
screen on primary monitor.

So it really depends who develops your Linux driver. nVidia, Although
not opening their driver's source code, is really trying to put any
feature that their cards have to be supported under Linux. CUDA,
PurePlay, Twinview etc - all suported under Linux these days with 1
driver and easy install. ATI - a total nightmare on Linux, specially
for the latest distributions.

Hetz

--
Skepticism is the lazy person's default position.
my blog (hebrew): http://benhamo.org