On Thursday 18 December 2008, Erez D wrote:
> If you arg thinking of buying a new graphic card, and want to choose
> ati.... i wouldn't recommend that.

[Snipped]

> so i say again. i wouldn't recomend buying from ATI.
> from now on. no ati neither amd for me.
>
> (with nvidia i used twinview and tv-out. i hope the opensource  ati driver
> supports this ...)

My experience with ATI and Nvidia cannot be more different than yours. With my
old Nvidia GeForce 4 MX card, I had frequent crashes or hangups with the
proprietary driver. Then when I tried "nouveau" which is the truly
open-source driver (the "nv" driver is written in hex), the screen would
freeze when switching to the virtual console, etc. and I still didn't have
3-D. Furthermore, the GeForce 4 was the lowest card to be supported by the
proprietary nvidia driver, and it is possible they have droppped support for
it afterwards or are going to soon.

After that card's fan died, I decided to replace it with an ATI card and
bought an AGP ATI Radeon HD 2600 card. My Mandriva Cooker system detected it
right after reboot (although used a 16-bit bpp instead of 24-bit which I had
to fix), and I've been happily using the open-source RadeonHD drivers ever
since. Now I can switch to virtual consoles and everything works without
crashes.

I still don't have usable 3-D acceleration (for this I need the proprietary
fglrx drivers), but it should be supported soon in FOSS, because ATI released
specifications for that (as opposed to Nvidia), and there's a team working on
the FOSS drivers.

I blogged about my ATI card here:

http://community.livejournal.com/shlomif_tech/12324.html

I should note, however, that I asked the RadeonHD IRC channel and mailing list
for guidelines on how I can help in its development and didn't receive any
good reply.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish