I have yet to take up Arik Baratz on his generous offer to help me
setup my own Asterisk server, but in the meantime I learne a couple of
things:

1. Amazon EC2 might contain surprises in the bill. I'm saying this
VERY cautiously based on one test server we had for a few days with
lots of disk space (it runs a web application with a 300Gb disk for
MySQL database) but it should be checked carefully before jumping on
it.

2. The following is a thread on the other mailing list I follow where
people give some more useful advise about setting up VoIP networks
http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2009/02/msg00051.html.

In particular I'm curios to hear what others have to say about
FreeSwitch (freeswitch.org) compared to Asterisk, as I keep hearing
that Asterisk configuration is somewhat of a black art (if it turns to
be as much "black art" as Perl programming then I might even enjoy it
:) and the guy here
http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2009/02/msg00059.html who
raised the FreeSWITCH option says that nothing less than a gun pointed
at his head will make him go back to Asterisk.

Cheers,

--Amos