Some information that may be useful if anyone is still interested:

- I can recommend grnvoip's termination service: They have good routes, good rates, competent technical support. They do not officially support IAX2 termination (only SIP and H323), but they will provide it if asked (supposedly; I'm using SIP termination). I heard great things about voipjet, but apparently they now actively require you to be a non-person entity (read, company) to join.

- The cheap setup described by Arik is perfect for call _routing_ so long as the asterisk server is only there for routing, and can "step out" of the communication chain once call routing is finished. Otherwise, at least with a Xen setup on vpslink, the CPU slice is not regular enough to provide acceptable quality, even for things like a voicemail app. (Everything works, but sound is occasionally choppy). OpenVZ might be better; Lylix.net might be better; I only have experience with Xen, and it's NOT good enough.

- In order to enable Asterisk to step out of call routing (and network routing), the DID mapping protocol and the termination protocol must be the same -- either both should be IAX2 (when using VoipJet) or both should be SIP (when using grnvoip). Otherwise, asterisk will need to remain "on the line" to do protocol translation.

- Asterisk rocks! It takes a little effort to configure, and looks weird at first (at least to my originally telephony-uninitiated self), but in most cases, there's a good reason for the way it needs to be configured. I think it's worthwhile to try to understand why Asterisk is built the way it is, rather than just look for an easy to configure GUI.

Ori Berger wrote:
FWIW, I asked DIDWW about the disappearing numbers (03 numbers are not there either at this moment), and they replied both 077 and 03 be back shortly (but I don't know what "shortly" means). Diamondcard still offers 03 numbers for $10/year. (Do note that their DID costs are competitive, but their termination rates are not).

Israeli Numbers appear and disappear -- apparently they do not replenish their inventory regularly anymore, and you can get a number when someone gives their one up. However, if you want to use DIDWW -- talk to their sales team, they may have a DID for you even if it's not visible in the online shop. A US number is cheaper at diacmondcard. Israeli numbers were more available at DIDWW a month ago.

Ori.