On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:21:42 +0300
Aharon Schkolnik <aschkol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response.
> Comments in-line.
>
> On Monday 30 March 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > Just to be clear - what I need is a way to edit MS mixed English and
> > > Hebrew word documents which will be read by Windows users. At the monent
> > > the only way I can do that is by booting into XP ;-(
> >
> > If you are creating the documents and others are reading, then there
> > are two solutions:
> >
> > 1) Open Office 3.0 handles MS Office documents <= 2003 in a reasonable
> > manner. If you are producing the documents for distribution, then
> > expect no problems (but don't be mad at me if there are). Sometime
> > receiving documents for MS Office users is not ideal, but creating
> > them is fine.
>
> Boy, I wish this were true. First, I have found that Open Office has a very
> difficult time with mixed Hebrew and English. Second, I have found that a
> mixed Hebrew/English document created with Open Office will get messed up
> when viewed with MS Word.
>
> Have others had a different experience ?

Very different. Math is a complete no go, hebrew and english is a mess,
mixed hebrew/english documents and numbers are rarely imported properly,
enumerations are messed up completely and changing the document language to
hebrew to match the original permutes tab aligned ellements

> > 2) Again, use OOo 3.0 but instead of distributing DOC files,
> > distribute PDF files. DOC files are not meant for distributing, their
> > viewer application is buggy and rarely used (users will likely open
> > the documents in an editor, ie, MS Word) and has other problems.
>
> No, DOC format is a requirement.
> >

> > If you need to recieve and colaborate with MS Windows users, you have
> > two options:
> >
> > 1) Buy MS Windows and MS Office and use them. I actually like
> > Microsoft's office suit, but I hate their operating systems!
>
> I have both. I just don't want to have to boot into Windows to be able to do
> what I need to do.
>

> > 2) Convince your collaborators to use Open Office. This is suprisingly
> > easy, many people are willing to get rid of MS Office. Although I
> > personally prefer MS Office and use OOo out of necessity (Linux user),
> > I find that most people prefer OOo for some reason, once they see it.
> > Go figure.

Tried using personally but sad to say it's incredibly unstable in terms of
styles and I still haven't managed to find out how to change the
headers/footers mid way through the document, something that is very easy with
word.

On the other hand I'm using lyx almost exclusively so who am I to talk ...