> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 06:21:05 -0800
> From: alext...@yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: OT: Bezek via netvision
> To: valery_rez...@yahoo.com; linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm using this service. If your infrastructure (HOT/ADSL) is reliable, it
> works pretty reliably as well.
>
> They give you the AudioCodes MP202 adapter, as someone has already mentioned.
> One thing to note is that they put this adapter in front of your PC / router
> (i.e. it connects to the modem, and the router connects to it), and it takes
> your public IP to itself and performs NAT. They don't give you the password
> for the administrator account on the device so basically you lose your public
> IP, for what it's worth. This is absolutely ludicrous, to me. They set it up
> in DMZ mode so that incoming connections are forwarded to your router / PC,
> but if your internal IP changes for some reason, you need to bug them to
> reconfigure their box. If you have anything at all that requires a public IP
> anyway (dynamic DNS?), you're out of luck.

Not sure I understand how your internal IP can change. You can always ask to
have the MP202
offer the same IP to the other device. One IP range dhcp.

> Another thing is that they set up traffic shaping on this box so that the
> VOIP calls are not affected by heavy traffic, and the speed degradation is
> quite noticeable.
>
> Bottom line, the calls are cheap, but it screws with your Internet connection
> in various ways, and it's basically only as reliable as your connection --
> and let me tell you that you don't realize how unreliable Internet
> infrastructure is here until you put your phone on it.

If you are running a server on your internet connection you should know how
reliable it is.
Doesn't NV offer a voice mail box as part of their phone service? For me, both
cables and adsl are very reliable. Perhaps the internet reliability depends on
your location.

> If I were offered this deal now I wouldn't go for it.

I think that with the current QOS of different land lines phone solutions, QOS
should be the least important criteria to consider.