On Feb 18, 2010, at 11:21 PM, Alex Shnitman wrote:

And reliability probably does depend on the area, but also very much on luck, it appears. I had it working fine here for a year until disconnections started, and then 9 (!!) visits by HOT technicians weren't enough solve the problem. This included replacing all cables down to street level, and replacing the modem, twice. I had to switch to ADSL eventually. When it works, it works, but when it doesn't, may the God of bits & bytes have mercy on your soul...

First of all this is Israel. Perfectly working connections fail at the first sign of rain. :-(

Second if you have 99% reliabilty that means one day out every two and a half months. Most people have much better reliability, most less than 99.9% (more than 12 hours a year out). Note that if you have two connections, one with BEZEQ and one ISP and the other with HOT and a different ISP it does not guarentee you 100% reliability.

I did find out that BEZEQ has a test system. If you change your ISP to 1 <any user id> @1 and any password, it will open a PPoE link and flood it at maximum speed forever. If the link fails, it's BEZEQ's fault. If it runs clean, it's not, it's your ISP or your PPoE software/ router.

Geoff.

--
geoffrey mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Jerusalem Israel geoffreymendel...@gmail.com