On Wed, Jul 28, 2010, Etzion Bar-Noy wrote about "Re: Alternative for getline()
function in AIX 5.3":
> IBM supply a set of GNU utilities, including GCC-related software (and GCC,
> as well, if I recall correctly, but an old one) in an additional CD supplied
> with AIX. This is called something around "Utilities for Linux" or some
> other lie. So you do not need to force gcc to compile under AIX, but only
> use it.
> Same goes, probably, for many additional libraries.

I didn't check, but it is quite likely that while they supply gcc and many
other GNU utilities, they do not have glibc. While glibc's getline() is
trivial to port to AIX, much of glibc is very closely related to the kernel's
APIs, so it varies a lot from kernel to kernel. Last time I checked, glibc
was only available for Linux.

But needless to say, parts of glibc (like the aforementioned geline()) should
have no trouble to compile on AIX.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |       Wednesday, Jul 28 2010, 17 Av 5770