On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 7:40 AM, geoffrey mendelson <
geoffreymendel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2011, at 6:11 AM, Arie Skliarouk wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>>
>> The company I work at uses openvpn extensively. We settled on UDP-based
>> protocol as it is more effective than TCP based.
>>
>> Inter-Israeli VPN connection works perfectly all of the time, whereas
>> international VPN has erratic behavior on at least one ISP. I suspect the
>> ISP (XFone 018) dropping UDP packets occasionally during peak hours for
>> following reasons:
>>        • ICMP ping to the internet-facing IP number of the VPN router
>> works properly all of the time
>>        • over-VPN ping to some server has about 50% packet loss during
>> peak hour (tested at 23:00)
>>        • on different ISP at the same time there was no packet loss
>>        • over-VPN ping on the same ISP worked perfectly in the morning
>> hours

I would complain and show proof of lost traffic (traffic sent but not
received) - Wireshark screenshots seems to do the trick. Ask them to have
your specific port prioritized. If you're a good paying customer
(non-dsl/cable), there's a good chance they could do something.

If you want, prior to calling them, to combat them with their own weapon,
thankfully there's a UDP protocol that probably no ISP would want to
degrade; Try switching to port 53 :-)

 Perfectly legal. I think your choice of UDP over TCP is ill-advised, and
> requires more research into the differences between the protocols, their
> uses and goals.

There's a very good reason of using UDP and not TCP for tunneling.
http://sites.inka.de/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html

HTH,

-- Shimi