On 23 October 2011 22:06, geoffrey mendelson
<geoffreymendel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
>>
>> The Free Software Foundation started a campaign called “Stand up for your
>> freedom to install free software!” about Microsoft's plan to enforce
>> “Secure Boot” in the installations of Windows 8, which will prevent people
>> from being able to boot into GNU/Linux, one of the BSD variants, or other
>> operating systems. You can sign it here:
>>
>> http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/statement
>

> It's pure FUD.
> "we are concerned that Microsoft and hardware manufacturers will implement
> these boot restrictions in a way that will prevent users from booting
> anything other than Windows."
>
> Not that they are, or saying they will, or even hinted they will.

I didn't follow the detail but a few weeks ago this made a noise on
Slashdot and as far as I'm aware Microsoft issued a statement which
calmed down the activists and it became a none-issue. I didn't follow
it closely so I might be wrong.

> The FSF is struggling to regain some semblance of public support after RMS's
> disastrous FSF boycott of Israel and his comments about Steve Jobs. Do the
> world a favor and let the FSF die with dignity, instead of being remembered
> as a bunch of racist FUDslinging lunatics.

Were there echoes of this argument outside Israel?

--Amos