On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Eli Billauer <e...@billauer.co.il> wrote:

> So what do you say? A bad idea? A brilliant idea? Everyone's doing it and
> nobody told me?

I don't know about everyone but I have been doing it (on my home computers)
for so long that I am still on CVS, not git. My repository lives in
/usr/local (and, accordingly, is backed up, unlike the root partition with
the real /etc on it). I am probably not quite consistent in the sense that
I don't keep ALL my configuration under control, but pieces of it -
certainly. Of course, I only keep those things that I modify in some
serious and not easily recoverable way. I do not see much need to keep all
of the default settings that I never touch under version control. As a
from-memory example of what I do keep under version control - /etc/mail.
You don't need a reminder to set up permissions properly, i suppose.

I am sure experienced people will point out that a more comprehensive
solution would be to keep your puppet or similar configuration under
version control, but it may be a serious overkill for a couple of (home)
computers.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | p...@goldshmidt.org <o...@goldshmidt.org>