I tried to symlink /boot/grub/ and got one single file (the symbolic link itself). Some googling immediately revealed that making git follow symlinks is a popular question, with a typical answer that git doesn't like to do that (or can't do that).

So given that a configuration repository is supposed to be a long term thing, I would avoid this, even if I found a way to trick git into following symlinks. Even specific symlinks (because /etc has a few of its own).

   Eli