On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 10:38:49PM +0300, Oron Peled wrote:
> On Wednesday, 6 בJune 2012 12:57:06 Eli Billauer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd just like to get your input before I do something stupid. The idea,
> > anyhow, is to create a git repository on my system's root directory, and
> > add many of the system's configuration files (e.g. some of /etc/) for
> > tracking.
>
> If you want this route, why re-invent the wheel?
>  http://joeyh.name/code/etckeeper

Note that while etckeeper defaults to using git, it can use a number of
other version control systems (though only distributed ones).

It also has hooks to package managers. Thus it documents the changes
created by apt / yum / whatever.

IIRC there's something similar for configuration files in the home
directory, but I did not get to look at it.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzaf...@jabber.org | VIM is
tzaf...@cohens.org.il |                    |  best