There seems to be a misunderstanding about git: If the repository is on /, it doesn't mean all files are tracked. On the contrary, they are handpicked with "git add". On the other hand, if I put the repository under /etc, I'm not so sure I'll be able to track something under, say, /var.

File ownership is an interesting issue. I suppose all relevant files belong to root, but maybe some of them have some different group setting.