Aha. I learn something new every day.

As for git, on the contrary. /etc/alternatives contains symbolic links, so it would be pointless to follow them. What git wisely does is maintaining the link's destination. So if you change or delete the symbolic link, you get exactly that change in the repository. I tried changing a symbolic link, committed to git, and got a single plus-minus change in the diff log, with the names of the destination files.

Now it's clear to me why git doesn't follow symlinks. Not the first time it turns out smarter than me. :P

   Eli