Hi I've got the same card at home, along with another,
and happily running Xinerama and multi-head. Have u
tried adding the hsync and vsync lines to u're monitor
section? Try adding a Modes line in u're Screen
section. I'll modify the config file u've sent me. see
if it works...

>       Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
>       Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>       InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>       InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Files"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
>       Load  "extmod"
>       Load  "xie"
>       Load  "pex5"
>       Load  "glx"
>       Load  "dri"
>       Load  "GLcore"
>       Load  "dbe"
>       Load  "record"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>       Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>       Driver      "keyboard"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>       Identifier  "Mouse0"
>       Driver      "mouse"
>       Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>       Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>       Identifier   "Monitor0"
>       VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>       ModelName    "Monitor Model"
        HorizSync    31.5 - 48.5
        VertRefresh  50 - 90

> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>       Identifier  "Cirrus Logic GD5446"
>       Driver      "cirrus"
>       VendorName  "Cirrus Logic"
>       BoardName   "GD5446"
>       BusID       "PCI:0:15:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>       Identifier "Screen0"
>       Device     "Cirrus Logic GD5446"
>       Monitor    "Monitor0"
>       SubSection "Display"
>               Depth     1
>       EndSubSection
>       SubSection "Display"
>               Depth     4
>       EndSubSection
>       SubSection "Display"
>               Depth     8
                Modes   "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>       EndSubSection
>       SubSection "Display"
>               Depth     15
>       EndSubSection
>       SubSection "Display"
>               Depth     16
                Modes   "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>       EndSubSection
>       SubSection "Display"
>               Depth     24
>       EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "DRI"
> EndSection

make the changes. and try starting u're server with
XFree86 -xf86config <file> -bpp 8 or 16. However mine
is not a Pure GD5446. its on my PixelView card...
NEwayz... try this. lets see, if it doesn't work,
maybe i new idea will... ;-)

Nikhil.
IGNULUG-HYD.