Hi,

> Is it true that linux does not support hard disks of 8GB or more...and if so
> is there any way around this problem.

I faced this problem when I installed RH5.2 on a system with a 10GB disk.
I hope this has been solved in 6.0.

You can manually enter the Cylinders/head/Sectors at the lilo boot prompt.
This is usually printed on the hard-disk or found on the manual.
This didn't totally solve the problem. It did everything without giving
any warnings, but it used to hang after getting a 'LI'

These are the steps I followed ( I have no idea why it worked though!)

1) boot after giving the correct values for CHS at the boot prompt.
2) Install everything...but SKIP LILO
3) reboot without giving any boot parameters. (Linux will see the disk as
an 8GB one now).
4) Install LILO. ( before doing this, edit lilo.conf so that
   the right CHS values are used at the next bootup.)
6) Reboot again ( reminds you of some-other OS eh?)

Important!: DO not run lilo again! (after booting up with the new CHS
            values ) or you'll have to do the whole thing again!.

Note : This happened to work on a Compaq PII @ 300MHz

You may have to play around a bit to get it working.

Regards,

Sojan. ( Will be off the list for a week....going out)