well...

I have had problems earlier with some harddisk... it was a 17.2Gb Western Digital
Cavier.. where linux refused to install beyond 1024 cylinders... so i went to the
advanced user mode during install and changed the number of cyliders to 1331 to match
the disks specs.

In another case of an IBM Deskstar 10.1Gb 7200 rpm disk.. i got a warning that it was
installing onto cyclinders beyond 1024... but just for kicks i went ahead...the only
problem that came during installation was that the lilo refused to install.. so i just
skipped the step... booted from the boot disk and then wrote onto lilo.conf manually
and did the old lilo -v and now that works fine too.

mebbe the safest bet is to install linux in the first 1024 cylinders... its the
easiest way to get around the problem i guess.
--

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 22:00:19   Amit Jaisingh wrote:
>Its not true...I'm using a 8.6 Gb Hdd without any problems. Linux never
>complains of it. But installing windows did trouble me a lot.
>
>-amit
>
>> Is it true that linux does not support hard disks of 8GB or more...and if
>so
>> is there any way around this problem.
>>
>> Thanx and regards
>> Jay Nambiar

Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail account at
http://www.eudoramail.com