Hi,

I am setting up a linux network for a company in Chennai as a favour for a
freind who works there.  This is my first networking assignment on linux
and a few doubst have crept up.  Can anyone clarfy;

1.      The network consists of 15 machines and one server connected thru a hub.
 Now the hubs are going to be form D-link.  The dilemma is whether to go
for 10mbps hubs or 10/100mbps hubs.  We all know that the cost is very low
as far as the former is concerned, but what are the disadvantages in going
for the same?

2.      Now a linux question.  The network is going to be a linux server which
handles the authentication while the nodes will be on Win9x.  I need to
have a machine which should serve as a file server thru which files are
downloaded and distributed through the network.  I have set up a similier
network on an NT server (NT4 as the PDC with Win 9x nodes), but the
security in the same is poor as we all know.  The present network neesds to
be very secure, as there is a danger of the files dloaded being erased aor
manipulated by the users.  My questions are;
(a) Is such a system possible with linux? If so, will I need a separate
linux server and a separate file server?
(b) For the system to be secure, it is necessary for the files to be on the
server itself and held in different home directories for the various nodes
to maintain this level of security?

Thanx in advance.  Apologies for ignorance.

Jayanth