Jayanth Vincent proclaimed:
> 1.      The network consists of 15 machines and one server connected thru a hub.
>  Now the hubs are going to be form D-link.  The dilemma is whether to go
> for 10mbps hubs or 10/100mbps hubs.  We all know that the cost is very low
> as far as the former is concerned, but what are the disadvantages in going
> for the same?

Speed, of course.  If you are sure that all the machines connecting to the
hub are going to talk 10-Base-T, then go in for the cheaper hub.  I
personally think that 10-Base-Ts are "good enough".

> 2.      Now a linux question.  The network is going to be a linux server which
> handles the authentication while the nodes will be on Win9x.  I need to
> have a machine which should serve as a file server thru which files are
> downloaded and distributed through the network.  I have set up a similier
> network on an NT server (NT4 as the PDC with Win 9x nodes), but the
> security in the same is poor as we all know.  The present network neesds to
> be very secure, as there is a danger of the files dloaded being erased aor
> manipulated by the users.  My questions are;
> (a) Is such a system possible with linux? If so, will I need a separate
> linux server and a separate file server?
> (b) For the system to be secure, it is necessary for the files to be on the
> server itself and held in different home directories for the various nodes
> to maintain this level of security?

I am a bit lost.  Are the files downloaded to the file server from the
internet and then passed on to the windows client machine?  Or is the file
server going to be a place where windows user's can store some of their
files and give permissions to other users to access some of these files?

If it is the latter, then you can go with installing a samba server on the
linux box.  To the windows machines the linux machine looks like an NT file
server talking smb.  If it is the former, you can go with a squid proxy on
the linux box.

Thaths
--
"See that ship over there?  They're broadcasting Major League Baseball
       with implied oral conesnt, not express written conesent."