David Ford wrote:

> XFree86 Version 4.0.1b / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6400)
> Release Date: 11 August 2000
>
> =)
>
> Are you by chance using cvs X from after september 10th?  If so, hop on the
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list and post your comments there.  There is another
> gentlemen with a similar problem.  I'm changing pace here, I believe the kernel is
> fine and it is an X issue as it occurs on 2.2 as well.  Visit the tail of:
> http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/xpert/2000-September/thread.html.
>
> -d
>
> safemode wrote:
>
> > When in doubt. . Blame it on the biggest piece of crap around ..  X.    One can
> > say using a cvs of X is the cause of this by somehow i doubt it would matter.  X
> > needs a sane make system and i'll bet 10:1 that it's the root of this shm usage.
> > But it should not be crashing the OS ...which does occur since i just went down a
> > couple minutes ago.  Right now it's increasing 1 segment a second it seems.  it's
> > at 1200 now and i give it about 30 more minutes before i crash again.  I'm gonna
> > run this on the test8-vm3 patched kernel i had before that was VERY good except
> > for that deadlock problem that caused me to crash after 7 days.   If the shm usage
> > is insane on that then i'll believe it is X's fault.      be back with the results
> > in a few minutes.
>
> --
>       "There is a natural aristocracy among men. The grounds of this are
>       virtue and talents", Thomas Jefferson [1742-1826], 3rd US President

XFree86 Version 4.0.1c / X Window System
Release Date: 28 August 2000

i cvs'd and compiled this last night  Sept 22

ipcs -u
------ Shared Memory Status --------
segments allocated 439
pages allocated 2990
pages resident  2645
pages swapped   0
Swap performance: 0 attempts     0 successes

------ Semaphore Status --------
used arrays = 0
allocated semaphores = 0

------ Messages: Status --------
allocated queues = 0
used headers = 0
used space = 0 bytes

cat /proc/meminfo
        total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  130011136 93089792 36921344        0  1347584 39284736
Swap: 205271040        0 205271040
MemTotal:       126964 kB
MemFree:         36056 kB
MemShared:           0 kB
Buffers:          1316 kB
Cached:          38364 kB
Active:          18760 kB
Inact_dirty:     20920 kB
Inact_clean:         0 kB
Inact_target:      260 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       126964 kB
LowFree:         36056 kB
SwapTotal:      200460 kB
SwapFree:       200460 kB

df
shm                    8388608     11996   8376612   1% /var/shm

It seems to me that test8-vm3 handles this fine.   in test9 upon loading X i was
already using swap and down to 10MB ...  here i have netscape loaded and some other
stuff along with gaim and i've got 36MB free still.   I'm not so sure you can chalk
this up totally to X ....  test9 is a VERY VERY poor kernel compared to test8-vm3