Escario Julien wrote:

> Feel free to use English on this list.

        Thanks!

> It's important anyone can use it's own language, especially in a
> multi-language country like Switzerland.

        My language is Brazilian Portuguese, so if anyone wants to answer in
Spanish or Portuguese -- Brazilian or European -- feel free.

        Now for the question:

        I already have an ISDN line and am contracting DSL for myself thru
Sunrise, and also advising a friend who has a POTS line.  I saw the
prices of modems and routers thru both Sunrise and TopD, and decided to
go my own route, but am starting to doubt my wisdom.

        The thing is that the router recommended by Sunrise for GNU/Linux use is
very expensive, more than CHF 400,-.  Moreover for use with ISDN it
needs a splitter, which I guess would mean messing up the lines
distribution box in the basement of the building and doing additional
cabling, which I am very keen not to do.

        The recommended Zyxel 630 modem is much cheaper, and it seems it does not
need a splitter, only a microfilter.  But then it's supported only for
MS Windows 98 and above, for GNU/Linux I could find only a beta driver
for GNU/Linux at http://sf.net./projects/eciadsl/, and would like to
know if anyone has experienced it.

        The other alternative I found, and supported under GNU/Linux, is the
Alcatel SpeedTouch USB for ISDN, but I didn't found anyone selling it.
Also its software is split between a kernel driver in 2.4 tree, and a
proprietary interface that includes firmware and I doubt very much I
will be able to run in my lowly Apple iBook.

        So the question is, should I bite the bullet and try the driver?  Has
anyone tried it?  Or should I just field out the cash for the router?

        Further down the way I'd like to use 802.11, don't know if that
complicates the situation even further.

--
  _
/ \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra        +41 (21) 216 15 93

--
http://www-internal.alphanet.ch/linux-leman/ avant de poser