From: Jeff Rose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: [Fwd: LOCAL: Central Florida ELUG January Meeting!]
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 22:20:41 -0500

==============23F6ECBCBC842E6FDCC9D220

Join us in CENTRAL FLORIDA !

- mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
==============23F6ECBCBC842E6FDCC9D220

From: Jeff Rose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
Subject: LOCAL: Central Florida ELUG January Meeting!
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 01:12:47 GMT

Linux and Everyone's Linux User Group (ELUG) is prepared
for an exciting new year for World Domination!

Had you been holding back on attending one of our informative
meetings during 1998?  Will you be our guest for our next topic
and announcements of what the vision is for the pre-Y2K, last
year of the millenium for ELUG?  You made the wise choice!

See you very soon at:

Date:           Friday, 15 January 1999
Time:           7:30 pm (1930)

Location:       Florida Institute of Technology Graduate Center
                Suite 161
                3165 McCrory Place
                (off Maguire Blvd / corner of Woodcock & McCrory)
                Orlando FL 32803

Vacinity:       Office park behind the Fashion Square Mall on
                E Colonial Dr (E HWY 50 close to UCF!)

Topic(s):       New Year Announcements - ELUG Admin
                PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) - by John DeBoard

Cost:           Free

Feel welcome to visit http://www.elug.org/meeting.html for
directions/maps and any last minute updates.  Tentatively ELUG
plans to hold regular meetings every 3rd Friday each month.
Possible SIG's forming inside of ELUG itself will announce their
meeting times/places as we grow.

Bring your PC for a free Linux install (subject to space
availability)!

- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
          Everyone's Linux User Group (ELUG)
   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]        http://www.elug.org
- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

- --
http://www.iki.fi/mjr/cola-public-key.asc has PGP key for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
This group is archived at http://www.iki.fi/mjr/linux/cola.html

==============23F6ECBCBC842E6FDCC9D220==

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (F. Heitkamp)
Subject: cpio-2.4.2 and Linux
Date: 27 Dec 1998 03:22:58 GMT

I compiled cpio-2.4.2 off of prep.ai.mit.edu
for my Linux PC.  I get messages from cpio
saying it is truncating inodes.  Looking at
the code I see the inodes want to be 16 bits.

Is this a limitation related to how the data
must be stored on tape or just a relic of
16 bit systems?  Is this making the tape
unreadable?  Should I worry about fixing it?

Thanks!

Fred

------------------------------

From: David Chase <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: SLOWLY GOING INSANE!!!
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 03:22:10 GMT

I think both opinions are right.  I'm new to Linux but I think one of
the beauties of the system is that you can choose the level of
involvement you have with the OS.  Depending on how you combine your
distribution with your GUI and apps, you can either have a techie's
dream that displays and logs everything it does, or an easy-to-use
Windows-like system that just does its job quietly and reliably.

For those that refuse to give up the command-line Linux is the way to
go.  But for those who need an intuitive, easy-to-use GUI with rich
graphic elements, well... see point #1.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: The goal of Open Source
Date: 27 Dec 1998 03:23:27 GMT

On Sat, 26 Dec 1998 21:40:42 GMT,
 steve mcadams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Dec 1998 14:02:39 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >When you need a program written and are not a programmer, who are you going
> >to hire to write it?
>
> In other words, all programmers will become the "hired help".  Hell,
> if I'm condemned to that position I'll become a manager, or better yet
> go into real-estate or stock brokering or something where I get paid
> some serious money for putting up with the daily crap.  The idea of
> being a programmer, for me at least, is that it's one area where with
> a reasonable outlay of cash up front for education/equipment, you can
> be your own boss.  Sounds like the FSF is dead set against
> independence for workers.  -steve

And that works until your idea is seen by MS as something they need to
integrate into the OS (like, say, TV Host, found out).  Then your
investment and time get shot to hell.

Or you waste lot of time writing an application from scratch for a given
customer who has some annoyances with their accounting package, instead
of charging them several hundred bucks to make it print the reports the
way they want them.  When you show the client that your from scratch
solution will cost more than their existing package and that it hasn't
been audited, they hire someone else to make the changes they asked for.

The FSF helps programmers.  Allowing you to use a huge pile of existing
code, you don't need to write everything from scratch to appease
customers.  You can even use the labors of other programmers to sell.

The only ones it hurts are those that want their solution to be
proprietary.  It doesn't even hurt the sales of companies making
accounting packages, for example, since most major accounting packages
come with source.  Most companies willingly buy it for astronomical
prices because what they are buying isn't the software, but the support.

Of course, if you don't think you have the ability to meet the exact
needs of a customer, I can see why you'd be so adamant against giving
out source.

(Hint: programmers may be "hired help", but that "hired help" can make
more money per hour than the CEO's of the companies they sell to.)

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Date: 27 Dec 1998 03:26:04 GMT

On Sat, 26 Dec 1998 21:40:46 GMT,
 steve mcadams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 26 Dec 1998 16:55:47 GMT, Ed Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >  Programmers are required to modify applications to fit a
> >business well.
>
> Ooooh, yummy!  Open Source takes over the world, then I get to be a
> maintenance grunt for the rest of my life, cleaning up other peoples'
> garbage so it works to company spec-of-the-week.  Arrgh.  -steve

Welcome to the real world: if your software doesn't meet the needs of
the customer, why would they pay you for it?

'codetools' must make some really awful products considering you have no
desire to be a 'maintenance grunt' making your software do what
customers want.

Good luck in your next job.

Followups set for your job-training.

From: Paul Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gcc on RedHat 5.2
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 03:29:04 +0000

Jinsong Ouyang wrote:

> On RedHat 5.2, if you write a very simple C code like below
>
> main()
> {
>   char input[80];
>   gets( input );
> }
>
> Then when you compile it using gcc or egcs, you will get the following
> strange warning message. What hell is going on? Anyone knows?
>
> /tmp/cca094601.o: In function `main':
> /tmp/cca094601.o(.text+0xb): the `gets' function is dangerous and should not be used.

The gets() function reads from stdin until it encounters (if I recall
correctly) a newline character. If it doesn't find one, it will read
from stdin for an infinite amount of time. This is clearly dangerous,
especially in CGI scripts where someone could overflow the input stream
and cause all manner of havoc. Using fgets() instead allows you to
specify an upper limit for the number of characters read. Check the man
page for gets() for more info.

HTH
--
Paul Griffiths

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: things I'd pay to have developed for Linux...
Date: 26 Dec 1998 21:46:38 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Bill Davidsen  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >no need to authenticate again
>>
>> Oh, the clients I use do this transparently so I wouldn't have considered
>> it an issue.
>
>How does it do something "transparently?" He's talking about modem
>lines, so if you mean by passing information back and forth, it isn't
>going to be tranparent in the sense of not bogging response.

Transparently to the user, as in automatically reconnecting to
a share and re-authenticating when necessary.  If you are concerned
about the overhead of passing a name and password at connection
establishment, file sharing is probably the wrong approach
anyway.  But, the real problem is that you have to map the ports
to a single IP address so you can't redirect your local ports if
you have a local server running.  Has anyone tried a scheme of
IP aliases on the tunneling machine to get the effect of NAT
through an ssh connection?

   Les Mikesell

From: "James A. Cleland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Embarrassingly dumb questio
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 22:33:37 -0500

Rich Grise wrote:

> I know I should look this up on my own, and probably search dejanews and
> go through
> all my manpages, but maybe somebody's done this and has a one-word
> answer:
>
> I just discovered that my machine (generic 6x86, Slackware 3.3.0, kernel
> 2.0.30)
> thinks it's GMT. The time it reports, e.g:
>
>  $ date
> Sat Dec 26 02:45:17 GMT 1998
>
> gives me the local time (Yes, it's 2:45 AM CST now). Which manpage tells
> me how
> to either tell the computer that it should be CST, or set the clock to
> actual
> GMT? I remember something about time zones in the setup - I shouldn't
> have to
> go all the way back to that, should I?
>
> Maybe man date? (This is another frustrating thing about Unix in general
> -
> I suppose it's not that different from the first time you see a C:>
> prompt,
> but, if you know the command to use, you can find out what it does; but
> if
> you know what you want done, how do you find the appropriate command?)
> --
> Rich Grise
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (No need to futz with my e-mail: I have a "delete" button!

As far as the time on your machine, I imagine you should check to see if
you have a 'localtime' link in /etc. It should point to the appropriate tz
in /usr/lib/zoneinfo/US, in my case, Eastern. This is a start. You could
also look into the TZ env variable, but I think your problem lies with the
'localtime' link.

As far as figuring these things out on your own, I would suggest going out
an purchasing a BOOK. I have found that the best 'context sensitive' help
for unix administration is a library full of admin books and there indexes.
Try Essential System Administration (O'Reilly). There's no substitute for
an extensive collection of literature.

Good luck,
James

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith Rohrer)
Subject: Re: Corel WP From Different Directory?
Date: 26 Dec 1998 22:10:33 -0600

In article <75p3kl$uj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is it possible to install corel's wordperfect in some directory
>(/usr/local/bin/corel) and then run it from one's home directory?

It doesn't seem to like being invoked as just "xwp" via the path.  But
an alias works, as would a shell script.  Or someone else posted that
there's an environment variable to set...

        Keith

--
 "Well, look at that.  The sun's   | Linux: http://www.linuxhq.com     |"Zooty,
  coming up." -- John Sheridan,    | KDE:   http://www.kde.org         | zoot

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Infringement of the GPL
Date: 27 Dec 1998 04:28:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve mcadams) writes:
> On Fri, 25 Dec 1998 21:17:47 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>And that's a reason not to use the GPL?  It would piss you off less had
>>you used a different license?
>
> Absolutely, because I'd use a proprietary license and distribute the
> source code to paying customers with a non-redistribution restriction.
> So I would earn some income from the work, and possibly be in a
> position to earn more by sueing the copyright infringers.  With GPL I
> get nothing for doing the work, they get money for unlicensed use, and
> I can't afford to sue.  In my book, that sucks.

So basically you just don't like the idea of using the GPL for your own
code.  Fine.  That's perfectly legitimate, though I'm sure it won't earn
you any points with RMS or the FSF.  What you don't seem to be
acknowledging is the fact that the GPL (and other open source licenses)
reflect a philosophy of NOT milking every effort for maximum monetary
profit.  Therefore, somebody who releases code under the GPL isn't likely
to be very concerned with monetary losses associated with code theft.
That doesn't necessarily restrict the person's rights to legal recourse
(though if this thread is any indication, there've been no such cases to
date); it's just that the motivations for going to court wouldn't be to
"earn more by sueing".

In other words, a person who would accept your argument about why the
anecdote about code theft from a GPLed work is reason to not use the GPL
would not be inclined to use it in the first place.  It would be like
telling a meat eater (commercial license user) that the price of meat was
going down slightly.  That might be good news for the meat eater (another
reason to use a commercial license), but it'll be irrelevant for most
vegetarians (GPL license users).

> I'm starting to think that the GPL is just for hobbyists.

Tell that to Netscape, Red Hat, and Corel.  Sure, the GPL essentially
kills the ability to make money off of the sale of the software itself,
but money can be made in various other ways.  Eric Raymond covers this
ground extensively in his essays (sorry, I don't have any URLs handy).

At the moment, the open source software movement is a very interesting
economic and sociological experiment.  It may or may not succeed in the
long term.  If it does succeed and your worst fears come true, though, it
won't be the end of the world.  Society (and the individuals which make
up society) have adapted to plenty of other social and economic
upheavals.  It's not always pleasant for the individuals, of course, but
that's the price we necessarily pay for living in a dynamic society which
experiences rapid technological changes.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]