Linux-Misc Digest #361, Volume #24                Thu, 4 May 00 16:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: good email client for Linux? (Big Daddy)
  Re: Linux woes (Compaq for one) on the horizon (Scott Alfter)
  Re: Autologin as root ("Joseph")
  Re: Netscape (Philip Standen)
  ls --color command ("C.E.G.")
  Re: The Best Man Page in the Internet? ("Cyberchondri@c")
  Re: what does this msg mean ? ... (Sam E. Trenholme)
  Re: Netscape ("Ian")
  Re: good email client for Linux? (Sam E. Trenholme)
  Re: what does this msg mean ? ... (Hans Dumbrajs)
  Re: Netscape ("Ian")
  RH 6.2:  shutdown problem: Xfree86 crashes (Christian Mathes)
  Re: VFS messages spamming ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Those distributions are stupid (10RD)
  Re: oldest linux box?
  problems trying to read and write a tty device ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  CPU Info (Bruceh)
  Re: ls --color command (Hugh Lawson)
  Re: ls --color command (Stu)
  Re: Autologin as root (Mark Crotts)
  Re: CPU Info (Bob Tennent)
  Insearch of a backup utility ("Robert Hagg")
  clock skew problem (Jinning He)
  Re: Netscape (Jim Townsend)

From: Big Daddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: good email client for Linux?
Date: 4 May 2000 18:14:45 GMT

Scribbling furiously, [EMAIL PROTECTED] managed to write....
: Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?

: kmail sucks. Staroffice is too heavyweight.
: Netscape mail only supports one POP3 account and
: is slow.

Dunno how well/if it does pop yet, but who needs pop when you can IMAP?
;-)

PINE!  ;-)  Lightweight, fast, flexible....  also mutt.

--
Big Daddy

"Alex, I'll take 'Things Only I Know' for $200"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Alfter)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux woes (Compaq for one) on the horizon
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 18:21:13 GMT

In article <8en9mi$ime$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Patrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I understand your frustration.  The Compaq comes with a weird
>Windows which will not work on another computer.

It's the same OEM Win9x that all other manufacturers use.  The difficulty
with these machines isn't Windows itself, but in the drivers needed to get
everything working.  The big boys often use "tweaked" hardware for which
standard drivers from a chipset manufacturer's website might not work, and
some of them don't provide drivers on their own websites.  (IBM is usually
pretty good about supplying drivers, but Compaq is hit-or-miss, especially
with Presarios.)

>I found out (much to my chagrin, that a format, then install a "normal"
>Windows, it does not work.

I nuked a Presario 305 recently and put a normal Win98 install on it.  I had
to go to other companies' websites to find drivers for the modem (Lucent),
video controller (ATI), and audio (ESS chipset, but they didn't have the
driver...found a driver that worked at Toshiba's website, of all places).
It works better now than when it was originally purchased...got rid of all
the extra crap that Compaq preloads on its computers.

(Of course, the best approach would've been to put Linux on it, but this
wasn't my computer. :-) )

>I believe there is something in the BIOS which detects the presence of the
>HP version of Windows.

There's nothing of the sort.  I don't think I've run across a computer yet
that's so brain-damaged that it won't take a standard Win9x install.  (I had
to install Win95 before Win98 on a notebook once to get support for its
goofball IDE controller, though.)

For what they're intended to do, the restore disks provided by HP, Compaq,
et al. work OK.  There is more than one way to get Win9x (or Linux or
[insert your favorite OS]) running, though, just as there's more than one
way to flay a feline. :-) It just takes some experimentation on the trickier
setups.

  _/_
 / v \
(IIGS(  Scott Alfter (salfter at (yo no quiero spam) delphi dot com)
 \_^_/  http://salfter.dyndns.org

------------------------------

From: "Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Autologin as root
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 14:31:58 -0400

how does it do that ??

------------------------------

From: Philip Standen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,netscape.communicator
Subject: Re: Netscape
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 19:43:48 +0100

Jim Townsend wrote:

> Ian wrote:
> >
> > Hello, I have just had to borrow a modem cause of this winModem bobbins. I
> > am really struggling now with setting up my mail and newsgroup server and my
> > netscape navigator browser. I have logged on with my freeserve stuff from my
> > windows setup which allows me to get a connection, but I can't get any joy
> > from the browser. If anyone could help me out it would be great, if more
> > details are neede please let me know. Ian
>
> Yeah... a few more details other than "I can't get any joy" would be
> useful :)
>
> Does Netscape run ?   What happens when you try to connect to a URL ?
> What happens when you try connect to your mail account or news server ?
>
> ./Jim

Most usual prob, did you set the DNS's?

--
Phil
ICQ#: 71546953

------------------------------

From: "C.E.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,comp.unix.misc
Subject: ls --color command
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 14:39:47 -0400

below is an excerpt from the "ls" man page in regards to the "--color"
option

when I use this option there *are* colors.  the problem is that they
are horribly
eye offending colors.  does anyone know what file I can change in
order to set
the defaults of these colors to a more pleasing combination?

Thank you in advance.
    -- C

P.S. I am running Redhat 6.1 (don't know if that makes a difference)

LS(1)                          FSF                          LS(1)

NAME
       ls - list directory contents

SYNOPSIS
       ls [OPTION]... [FILE]...

DESCRIPTION
       List  information  about the FILEs (the current directory by
default).  Sort entries
       alphabetically if none of -cftuSUX nor --sort.

       --color[=WHEN]
              control whether color is  used  to  distinguish  file
types.   WHEN  may  be
              `never', `always', or `auto'

From: "Cyberchondri@c" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Best Man Page in the Internet?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 18:42:15 GMT

In that case, www.playgirl.com  hehe.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Subject: Re: what does this msg mean ? ...
Date: 4 May 2000 11:42:35 -0700

This is what is known as a kernel opps.  Doesn't happen on most hardware,
but there is the occassional hardware combo that causes the kernel to have
a seisure.

My gut instinct is to upgrade the motherboard to a more stable
motherboard--I have only gotten thi skind of nasty opps once, and it was
due to a bad motherboard.

- Sam

--
Go to http://www.hoohahrecords.com/rap for information on the Bohemian RAP CD
Go to http://samiam.org/cgi-bin/mailme to get my email address

------------------------------

From: "Ian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,netscape.communicator
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 19:43:57 +0100

When I try a URL I get a timer on the cursor and nothing else happens.
When I try to send email I get a message saying 'unable to locate server
smtp.freeserve.net check server name and try again.

When I try to get message I get a dialog box saying same as above except it
refers to the pop.freeserve.net (which I entered into pop server box).

When I try to subscribe to news I get same as above but a referal to
news.freeserve.net

Hope you can help.Ian.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam E. Trenholme)
Date: 4 May 2000 11:45:36 -0700

>Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?

GUI mail clients for Linux:

kmail (comes with KDE)
xfmail

Command-line mail clients:

Elm
Pine
Mutt
Mailx

This is only a partial list.  You can look up email clients here:

        http://freshmeat.net

- Sam

From: Hans Dumbrajs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 21:47:24 +0300

"G.L. Grobe" wrote:

> This seems to happen every once in awhile (every two weeks or so). I'll
> walk in my office and find that my web server is totally unresponsive
> and locked up with the following msg's displaying on my screen.
>
> ----------------- from display ---
>
> ... (many lines of the next line here w/ diff addresses)
>  [<c01096ad>] [<c0110912>] [<c01cfe76>] [<c0116b34>] [<c0109a74>]
> [<c01ce8
> 18>] [<c01cfd0e>] [<c010e9c4>]
> Code: 89 01 8b 0a 85 c9 74 08 8b 42 04 89 41 04 eb 06 8b 42 04 89
> Aiee, killing interrupt handler
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
> In interrupt handler - not syncing
>
> ----------------- end ---
>
> Usually after a boot (sometimes two) everything is back up and running
> fine. Is this a drive problem of some sort? The box is a RH6.1 distrib
> on an intel 266 w/ 128Mb.
>
> Any ideas/hints/suggestions to what this means would be much
> appreciated.

The Linux kernel crashed (Kernel Panic). Try upgrading to the latest kernel (2.2.15).
If this
doesn't
help there might be a bug in the Linux kernel, or you might have faulty hardware
(which is more
likely).
You might also want to contact the kernel maintainers on this if upgrading your kernel
doesn't do
it..

--
Hans Dumbrajs / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +358-9-88176060

------------------------------

From: "Ian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,netscape.communicator
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 19:48:43 +0100

When I configured my modem I entered a DNS name 'www-cache.freeserve.net'
which is in my proxy settings in windows, there is no number.
news:8esgcm$24k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christian Mathes)
Subject: RH 6.2:  shutdown problem: Xfree86 crashes
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 18:40:12 GMT

Hi all,

I have problems to shut down my Redhat 6.2 installation.

After launching the shutdown comand, the graphical login appears a
second time.

A few seconds later there are some error messages that the Xfree86
server crashed.
After this, both pc and monitor are switched off correctly.

The error messages unfortunately are visible only for a few seconds,
so I can't write
them down and post them.

Has anyone of you made the same experience when you shut down your PC?

How can I fix this Xfree86 server problem?

With kind regards

Christian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VFS messages spamming
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 18:51:41 GMT

Thanks Justin!  I was having the same problem
(repeated message in the kernel log of "VFS: Disk
change detected on device ide1") and killing
magicdev worked for me.

It looks like you can prevent magicdev from
starting on each reboot through the Gnome Control
Center.  Under Peripherals->CD Properties uncheck
"Automatically mount CD when inserted".   I also
unchecked the box to automatically play audio CDs,
but I'm not sure if I had to do that.

Phil

In article <8eaon9$bnm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In my experiance the problem happens with
magicdev going berzerk.  Type
> 'ps -ef |grep magicdev' and then kill the
responsible proc.

From: 10RD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ch.comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Those distributions are stupid
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 21:37:49 +0300

HTML is evil,

it isn't the OS that counts
it is the programmer that uses the OS

(and in my case the modem, in my case i'm stuck with an HSP that only
runs under windows)

--
check out the amazing Tree, Dream Image, Flower, CIF (CoolIF)
GIMP plug-ins.

DISABLE COOKIES IN YOUR BROSWER, THE BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!!!
this is the signature of a proud GNU supporter.

George Orwell vs. USA, score 1984 : 0

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: oldest linux box?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 19:08:32 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck) writes:
> On Wed, 03 May 2000 22:21:13 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Just curious, what's the oldest linux box that folks have these days?
>
> I use a 486/50 as my home firewall.

OK are you ready for this? 386/16 with 8 megs of memory and 2 built-in
wait-states, and a 12meg hard drive. It's still doing yoeman service
as my fireall/mail server :-)

And I paid almost $15,000 when I first bought it. Untill Compaq came
out with their first 386, it was the fastest machine on the market :-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: problems trying to read and write a tty device
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 19:05:07 GMT

I wrote a simple program, echotty.c, included below.

I intended it to loopback a tty device by reading from it and writing
to it in a loop.  It's part of a scheme to get the procedure in the VPN
HOWTO to work, BTW, which seems to fail because rsh doesn't open a tty
remotely, but that's neither hear nor there.

What seems to be happening is that after the first write, all
subsequent reads always return maxing out the buffer.  What am I doing
wrong here?  Is there some flag I should set differently in the open()
call?

I tested it by opening three xterms, A, B, and C.

In A, I type "echotty /dev/ptyp0"
In B, I type "cat > /dev/ttyp0"
In C, I type "cat /dev/ttyp0"

I then type a message, like "hi there", in B and hit return.  I
expected it to come out on C, but what I get is a stream of blank lines.

I did a little debugging and the every read after the first write
returns 1024 bytes.

Chris Marshall

echotty.c

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv){
   int i=0;
   int fd;
   char *filename=argv[1];
   int buflen=1024;
   char buf[buflen];
   fd= open(filename,O_RDWR|O_NOCTTY,(mode_t)0);
   if (fd<0){
      perror("open");
      exit(1);
   }
   while (1) {
      int rc;
      rc= read(fd,buf,buflen);
      if (rc<0){
         perror("read");
         exit(1);
      }
      write(fd,buf,rc);
   }
}

From: Bruceh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CPU Info
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 19:11:46 GMT

Is there a way to determine:
1. the number of CPUs
2. the CPU speed (MHz)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hugh Lawson)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,comp.unix.misc
Subject: Re: ls --color command
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 19:14:23 GMT

On Thu, 04 May 2000 14:39:47 -0400, C.E.G. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>below is an excerpt from the "ls" man page in regards to the "--color"
>option
>
>when I use this option there *are* colors.  the problem is that they
>are horribly
>eye offending colors.  does anyone know what file I can change in
>order to set
>the defaults of these colors to a more pleasing combination?

Two lines from my ~/.bashrc

eval `dircolors ~/.dir_colors`
alias ls="ls --color=auto"

The command 'dircolors' takes its data from the file ~/.dir_colors and
creates an environment variable LS_COLORS.  The command 'ls --color' takes
its colors from the environmental variable LS_COLORS.

So, write a suitable ~/.dir_colors file, and execute the command
'dircolors'.  To get a starting file for editing, do this:

dircolors -p > ~/.dir_colors

The ~/.dir_colors file so created includes directions on coding the colors
for different kinds of files.

See man dircolors.

--
Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina

From: Stu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 19:19:41 GMT

Edit /etc/DIR_COLORS, the comments in the file explain what to do.  Then
add this to the end of /etc/bashrc:

LS_OPTIONS='--color=tty -F -a -b -T 0';
export LS_OPTIONS;
eval `dircolors -b'

The "-F -a -b -T 0" is optional ( -F appends things like a / to the end
of a directory, or @ to the end of a symlink, etc.; -a is for all files,
including hidden; -b prints octal esapes instead of non-printable
characters; -T 0 sets the tabstops to zero columns).  This should do it,
don't forget to run 'source ~/.bashrc' to see the changes after you make
them (this is so you don't have to open a new shell).

Stu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Crotts)
Date: 4 May 2000 21:35:50 GMT

On 4 May 2000 16:29:28 GMT, Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Mark Crotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: My Debian 2.1 box tries to autologin as root. Any ideas how to stop this?
>
>Make it autologout as root too!
>
>(become more comprehensible)

Okay. If I reboot, instead of getting the login screen I get "password"
If I enter roots password it logs in.
If I login as root then "exit" the box tries to log root back in.
Here's the output

daylonius:~# exit
logout
Password:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: CPU Info
Date: 4 May 2000 19:15:12 GMT

On Thu, 04 May 2000 19:11:46 GMT, Bruceh wrote:
 >Is there a way to determine:
 >1. the number of CPUs
 >2. the CPU speed (MHz)

cat /proc/cpuinfo

------------------------------

From: "Robert Hagg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Insearch of a backup utility
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 12:30:55 +0100

I'm in search of a backup utility that runs under Linux, and capable of
operating over a TCP/IP based LAN.
The network is small, 15 nodes consisting of various Linux/NT/9x/Mac
systems. I would like to be able to backup a complete system, multiple
drives/boot partition etc.
I'm interested the various utilities available and first hand experience,
good or bad.
Thanks.
Feel free to cc me direct at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Jinning He <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: clock skew problem
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 15:05:27 -0500

I have my redhat linux 6.1 coexisting with winNT. The clock is ok with NT
but in linux, it's always slow, about 6 minutes slow every hour. Each time
I reboot the machine, the time will be adjusted to the correct time but
then after a couple of days, it will be  several hours behind. I have to
use 'date' command to manually adjust it when I have clock skew sensitive
applications. Is there a way to fix the clock permanently ?

By the way, I installed the same release on several machines and only one
of them has the problem . Thanks.

 -- Jinning

------------------------------

From: Jim Townsend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,netscape.communicator
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 15:07:48 -0500

Ian wrote:

> When I try a URL I get a timer on the cursor and nothing else happens.
> When I try to send email I get a message saying 'unable to locate server
> smtp.freeserve.net check server name and try again.
>
> When I try to get message I get a dialog box saying same as above except it
> refers to the pop.freeserve.net (which I entered into pop server box).
>
> When I try to subscribe to news I get same as above but a referal to
> news.freeserve.net
>
> Hope you can help.Ian.

Yes.. someone else beat me to it..  You have to define your DNS
servers.  You can quickly check to see if you have a server set by
typing 'nslookup localhost' at a consol prompt.

Jim.