Linux-Misc Digest #361, Volume #21               Wed, 11 Aug 99 09:13:22 EDT

Contents:
  Kernel 2.2.11 SCSI 7890 Controller trouble  (Rainer Krienke)
  BT878 sound problems (Nick C.)
  Mounting Windows? (Paul)
  Re: Have you heard? (James Knott)
  Re: startx -- -bpp 16.....too long to type (James Knott)
  Re: tar hoses system (Tim Moore)
  Re: Any Linux learning tips? (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Distribution Suggestions? (Albert Ulmer)
  Re: modem question (redover)
  Re: How do I tell RH sees a second CPU? (Villy Kruse)
  Re: Problems compiling kernel 2.2.11 (Simon Quinn)
  Re: complete freeze with RH6 (Mark Hovey)
  Re: need help with kppp and floppies PLEASE ("Jonathan Wilson")
  Need help with Bochs for RH 6.0? (Ken Cochrane)
  Process table syscalls ("Raamkumar. T")
  Re: What I think of linux. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Gateway ISP - no DNS IP's ?!? (Jeff)
  Re: Have you heard? (Adam Rafuse)
  Does RAID can be set up on disks with different megabytes? (Tau Kim)
  Re: Mounting Windows? (Mihaly Gyulai)
  Re: Linux has finally crashed (Faisal Shahid)
  Re: Hauppauge WinTV video frame grabbing? ("Scott W. Kinkele")
  Re: Why everyone can shutdown my Linux box? (Mihaly Gyulai)
  Re: SIS 6326 AGP 8MB video card prob (Jon Bloom)
  Re: EZ-BIOS and LILO (Magnus Ehinger)
  Re: Can I use DISK DRUID after install . . . (Villy Kruse)
  Re: Red Hat 6.0 Installation problem (Tan)
  Re: partition (Mihaly Gyulai)
  Re: Server Chat & Web forum software for Linux? (Jon Skeet)
  Any Support for PCI Modems? (Jeremy)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rainer Krienke)
Subject: Kernel 2.2.11 SCSI 7890 Controller trouble
Date: 11 Aug 1999 11:28:24 +0200

Hello,

lately I tested 2.2.11 on my machine. 2.2.10 runs without problems on this
computer. However in 2.2.11 the scsi support for the ADAPTEC Controller AIC7xxxx
seems tohave changed. I have a Adaptex 7890 controller and the kernel does not
run with it any longer. When booting the scsi controller ist found and the
correct number of devices (a harddisk and a cdrom) are found but then it reports
only timeouts for the disk when it tries to continue the bootprocess. The
messages are similar (sinve the machine does not boot I cannot provide the exact
messages:

(scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7890/1 Ultra2 SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 12/0
(scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=7, 32/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 374 instructions downloaded
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.15/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AIC-7890/1 Ultra2 SCSI host adapter>
scsi : 1 host.
(scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 80.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: IBM       Model: DDRS-39130D       Rev: DC1B
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
(scsi0:0:6:0) Synchronous at 5.7 Mbyte/sec, offset 16.
  Vendor: TOSHIBA   Model: CD-ROM XM-6401TA  Rev: 1009
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Aborting Command due to timeout (more parameters refering to disk device) ....
Aborting Command due to timeout ....
Aborting Command due to timeout ....
Aborting Command due to timeout ....

Thats all. Nothing more happens. Rebooting with 2.2.10 eberything works just fine.

Any idea?
Rainer Krienke
Rainer Krienke                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universitaet Koblenz,              http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Rechenzentrum,                     Voice: +49 261 287 - 1312
Rheinau 1, 56075 Koblenz, Germany  Fax:   +49 261 287 - 1355

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: BT878 sound problems
Date: 11 Aug 1999 09:45:41 GMT

Trying to make this concise-
I have an AverMedia TV98(BT878/Philips NTSC tuner), kernel 2.2.10, bttv
drivers 0.6.4e (although the included bttv drivers in 2.2.10 have the same
problem). When I try to use xawtv, I get a fine picture, but no sound. I'm
installing the bttv module with "card=10 radio=0" and have uncommented
"-D_RESET_MSP_HAUPPAUGE" in the Makefile. The msp3400 patch has been applied.
I have tried setting "mixer = mixer" is .xawtv and trying all of the values
I get from the error message, but none of them work. All that happens is that
I get static and popping noises from my speakers after I load the modules
but before I run xawtv. When I do run xawtv, the static and popping either
stop or get very faint. I can hear the TV sound very faintly in the background.

When I type dmesg, it appears that all the modules are loading without
problems. I cannot, for the life of me, figure this problem out. This is
the most trouble I have EVER had getting a piece of hardware to work with
Linux, and I've been using Linux for years on many different computers.
The AverMedia TV98 is a pretty popular card, so there must be SOMEONE who's
gotten it to work with Linux, unless it just plain doesn't work.

--
Nick C. - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | E-mail address contains a spamblock
"Stupidity should be painful."            | Remove IFRICKINHATESPAM to e-mail

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul)
Subject: Mounting Windows?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:43:27 GMT

How can i mount my Windows95 partition under linux??
      Many thanks
            Paul

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Knott)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: Have you heard?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 05:49:34 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Robin Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>If no one proves they hacked in; this is not proof that no one did (or
>could). M$ is heading for a big fall if it announces that it has any
>kind of hacker proof system.

Heh heh heh!   ;-)

So we all hack in and don't tell Micros~1!

--
E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The above opinions are my own and not those of ISM Corp., a subsidiary of

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Knott)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: startx -- -bpp 16.....too long to type
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 05:57:21 -0400

In article <7okmoi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson) wrote:

>Nevyn  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>i want to keep using startx to start x but i like to start it like
>>above, and would like to know if i can modify a file so i can go back to
>>just typing startx but still getting the better colour depth....any
>>ideas??
>
>You can modify startx itself!  It is a shell script, and indeed
>here is what it says right up at the top of it,
>
> "# This is just a sample implementation of a slightly less primitive
>  # interface than xinit.  It looks for user .xinitrc and .xserverrc
>  # Site administrators are STRONGLY urged to write nicer versions."
>
>I don't recall exactly what the original looks like, but here are
>a couple of lines at the top of my startx (incidentally, I have
>an alias, alias x=`startx`, because not only is an argument to
>startx too long to type, but so is the 'start' part!),

And you can alway create a different script or alias for each
resolution.  i.e. x16, x24 etc.

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 01:03:38 -0700
From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tar hoses system

> tar cvf /dev/st0 /download
>
> where download is a filesystem (/dev/hda6 but that shouldn't matter)

/dev/hda6 is a raw device not a file system.  Stick with actual file
systems when using tar, such as whatever is mounted on /dev/hda6.  If
you want raw device backups try dd(1) or dump(8).
--
timothymoore    "Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
bigfoot                                            WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any Linux learning tips?
Date: 10 Aug 1999 02:22:39 -0700

Frank Conte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm new to Linux and while I have it up and running I was wondering if
> there are any tips and tricks that I can practice. For example, Can my
> linux box send out a signal and see who's hooked up to the box?
You mean who's connected currently to the machine? w(1), who(1),
finger(1). To find out on a remote machine (the admin. may not allow
this), use rwho(1) or finger @hostname.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Albert Ulmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Distribution Suggestions?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:07:32 GMT

>       I bought the SuSE 6.1 distribution over the weekend and liked a =

lot of
> what I saw there as well.  The applications that are supplied in setup=
=20
are
> great (plus, I can install window maker right off...no fuss). :)  The
> problem I had with this is that my XF86Config file was missing --=20
weirdest
> thing -- X worked fine, but I couldn't find the file!  (not even a=20
system
> wide 'find' managed to dig it out).

SuSE 6.x supplies a really comfortable program called SaX to configure=20
X. Try it out, it should give you quick results.

Apart from that, I really like SuSE better than all other=20
distributions. They supply a lot of software on CD and their support=20
department always came through for me.

------------------------------

From: redover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem question
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:23:20 GMT

I just got rid of my winmodem i bought a Aopen IUT/2 . I had good luck
with it today very happy camper.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: How do I tell RH sees a second CPU?
Date: 11 Aug 1999 10:51:36 +0200

In article <7oosgg$eh7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Cedric Blancher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The
>> RH6.0 CD has 6 kernel packages, 3 for SMP and 3 without SMP. The 3
>versions
>> are compiled for 386, 586, and 686.
>
>And don't forget to build your kernel for SMP....

Why; if the provided smp kernels are already compiled for smp, and the
SMP version is installed.

During install the install program will detect a SMP system and install
the appropriate SMP kernel, and you are all set.  What happens if you
later add a second processor after the system has been installed I don't
know.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Simon Quinn)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Problems compiling kernel 2.2.11
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:12:44 GMT

I get exactly the same problem with RedHat 6.0

------------------------------

From: Mark Hovey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: complete freeze with RH6
Date: 10 Aug 1999 23:26:48 -0400

My system also completely freezes at random times under RH6.0 and
Gnome/Enlightenment.  Its a Celeron 400 with 128 Mb RAM, only 4Mb memory
on the video card.  So far it has not done this under fvwm2 or without X
running.  This is a major bug, assuming it is a bug--I can only be
thankful these crashes haven't corrupted my filesystem or hard drive
yet.
                Mark Hovey

From: "Jonathan Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: need help with kppp and floppies PLEASE
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 07:13:33 GMT

Harri,

It worked!
Thanks a million,
        JW

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:19:16 -0400
From: Ken Cochrane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.ps.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Need help with Bochs for RH 6.0?

I am trying to setup Bochs for RH 6.0, and I can get it to come up for a
second and then it closes right away..  the output I get is

# (0)BX_CPU_C::BX_CPU_C(void) called
# using rc file '.bochsrc'.
# ips = 750000
# (0) BX_MEM_C::init_memory(int): allocating memory.
# (0)   mem size = 33554432
# (0) load_rom: rom bios 'bios/bios-bochs-990623a',size65536 read into
memory at 000f0000
# (0) load_rom: ROM BIOS 'bios/VGABIOS-elpin-2.20', size=32768 read into
memory at 000c0000
[cmos] setting inyial clock to tue aug 10 14:06:32 1999
opening image for device 0
# bx_options.floppy_command_delay = 500
# default_depth =8
vga: interval =300000
tty not used, serial port is not connected
# (0) get memory_in_k( ) =32768
# WARNING: X11 bx_gui_c::exit( ) not implemented yet.
bochs exited, log file was './bochs.out'
#state_file::~state_file( )
#(0)BX_CPU_C::~BX_CPU_C(void) called

and for the log file I get

font_width = 8
font_height = 16
waiting for MapNotify
MapNotify found
bochs: panic,could not open IO init file.
last time is 934308392

cpu:0
real mode
CS.d_b =16 bit
SS.d_b = 16 bit

the rest is just a bunch of numbers(don't feel like typing them all
out)..

does anyone know what I am doing wrong? or does anyone know how to fix
it?   If you have any information on how I can get this to work, if so
please send me an email personally.

Thank you,

Ken

------------------------------

From: "Raamkumar. T" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Process table syscalls
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 13:47:46 +0300

Hi,

I want to access the process table entries to find a particular process
information. I don't want to use the 'ps' command. How can I do this?

TIA,
-Vikas

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: What I think of linux.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 11 Aug 1999 07:33:17 -0400

"Jonathan Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> More for the average: I have a friend, age 26 I think, that's been running
> Red Hat for a few years. Then I've got 2 friends, one's a programer, the
> other uses his computer many hours each day. They're both in their upper
> 40's ( yes, it's possibe to have good friends who are much older than you)
> and they're really interested in Linux, but just won't make the dive (the
> second one's had Linux on a partition for a year, but won't really look into
> it). So maybe it takes more effort to convince older folks ? They're not far
> from it though. It should help them to take the dive, now that I'm using it
> daily.

Some 'older folks' are as willing to experiment as you 'yunguns - I'm 53,
and have been running Linux fulltime for about 18 months, after tinkering
for about 3 years.

Ed

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff)
Subject: Re: Gateway ISP - no DNS IP's ?!?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:41:10 GMT

>>I have installed Debian (Hamm), and "pon" will dial Gateway.net, and I
>>can even log-in. (Gateway doesn't hang up on me, anyway.) But Netscape
>>can't find it's way outside of my computer because I have no DNS IP's.
>>
>>Gateway.net says they "no longer use" DNS IP addresses.
>>I hardly think this is true.

What they are saying is that the DNS is assigned during authentication.
Works nice for Windows, and serves to keep first level technical
support in the dark.

Another poster gave you the info you're looking for, but keep in mind
that you *do not* have to use their nameservers.  You can use
another ISP's, but lookups across the Internet tend to be a little slower.

>>Otherwise, (and my absolute LAST choice)
>>can someone recommend a "Linux Friendly" ISP?
>>(i.e., Someone who doesn't mind giving out their DNS IP's.)

Most ISPs are linux friendly, it's just their technical support isn't
knowledgeable about Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adam Rafuse)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Date: 11 Aug 1999 11:15:01 GMT

Glenn Valenta ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: And leave it to ZD, the mouth piece of m$, to report it.

: I hate those misleading headlines!

: DOn't subscribe to anything ZD.

Has anyone noticed that if you type the letter to the right of what you
wanted to, MS becomes ZD? (if you reach the end of the KB, loop back...)

Just an interesting observation...

Yours ect.
Fuser

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tau Kim)
Subject: Does RAID can be set up on disks with different megabytes?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:30:36 GMT

        I'm wondering if it's possible to enable RAID on Linux by
software method. And I heard that it's possible. - I even saw some
documents like mini-HOWTO RAID on Linux.
        Anyway, What RAID level is supported priceisly and please give
your comments if you've already experienced it. Is it reliable?

        On Windows NT Server 4.0 machine, if I want to setup a RAID
system, I should have more than three disks. AT LEAST 3 DISKS. How
about on Linux? Is it the same? And is it possilble with disks with
different capacity?

        Thanks in advance,

        - Tau Kim

------------------------------

From: Mihaly Gyulai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mounting Windows?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:16:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul) wrote:

> How can i mount my Windows95 partition under linux??

If you temporarily needs it, you can mount it (as root) :
  mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/dosc -t msdos

(assuming, that your win partition is on /dev/hda3, the mount point
is /mnt/dosc, and the file-system type is msdos)

You may fiddle with 'type', as 'vfat' or 'fat32' can be better for you...
('man mount' for more info...) (it depends on how you installed windows)

If you need this partition always, you can put a line into
/etc/fstab, like this :
  dev/hda3  /mnt/dosc  msdos  user,rw,nosuid, quiet

(parameters are similar, but you can allow mounting for users also...)

--
Mihaly Gyulai
http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gyulai/

From: Faisal Shahid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Linux has finally crashed
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 15:53:59 -0400

Chris Dams wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.x K Kal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Hello guys,
>
> : I have a big problem on my hands!
>
> : I think I've crashed my Linux system.  I was running some applications
> : in the background, and all of a sudden the system froze.  I know that
> : doesn't make sense, but that's what happened!
>
> : I tried to login remotely, but didn't get anywhere.  So I hit the reset
> : button on the computer.  Now the system won't boot up!!
>
> : As it is doing its initial boot up it says the following:
>
> : Checking root filesystem
> : /dev/hda6 contains a file system with errors, check forced
>
> :                                                [FAILED]
>
> : /dev/hda6: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENSY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
> :                 (ie, without -a or -p options)
>
> : *** An error occurred during the file system check
> : *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> : *** when you leave the shell.
>
> : Give root password for maintenance
> : (or type Control-D for normal startup):
>
> : Do you have any clue as to what the problem might be or even how to fix
> : it/get around it???  I'm afraid I might have to re-format!!

You have to run File System checking utility manually with flags i.e. without the
-a or -p options
(see above).

In your case just run this ,while in root, and the fsck (File System Checking)
utility will eradicate all the bad blocks and delete the redundant inodes from
the /dev/hda:

fsck /dev/hda

My guess is that this is not the first time your system has crashed. Normally
fault tolerance works for the first few times of system crashes.

Happy Hunting.

Faisal

From: "Scott W. Kinkele" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Hauppauge WinTV video frame grabbing?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:33:05 +0000

James, I was hoping you could help me configure my Hauppauge board.  I
have Video support and BTTV support loaded as modules in my kernel.  I
then have to manually install the bttv modules.  But after that
I I can't find a problem that will install properly.  I was hoping you
could point me in the right direction.  My final goal is to watch tv and
movies for the purpose of grabbing still images.  So if you could be of
any help I would appreciate.

Thanks,
Scott Kinkele

From: Mihaly Gyulai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why everyone can shutdown my Linux box?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:27:00 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Mars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In RH 6.0, ...
> Temporarily I just rename the /usr/bin/shutdown.
> Anyone could give me some hints?

My system is RH 5.2, but this should work...
You can create a file, /etc/shutdown.allow, in which you list
user-names to whom you allow to shutdown the system...

This file should be writable only for root.

From: Jon Bloom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SIS 6326 AGP 8MB video card prob
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 07:34:43 -0400

philip mone wrote:

> Eric Marquez wrote:
>
> > I'm running Redhat 6.0 with 64MB of Ram and 350 Mhz AMD
> > I'm useing a SIS6326 AGP 8MB 3D Pro.
> > Using Xconfigurator to set it up I get an error and can't run X windows.
> >
> > The monitor is a MAG DX17F.
> > Are there any fixes for this?
> > Thank
> > Eric
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I too had a problem with a no-name brand SiS6326 card until I saw question
> D4 in the xfree86 FAQ which reported the exact problem I was having.  None
> of the suggested solutions worked for me.  (I'm running caldera openlinux
> 2.2)  I ditched the 6326 card and got a used S3 Trio 64V+ based card with
> 2MB of memory for $10 and problem was solved.

I haven't found the suggestions in the FAQ to be effective. What is
effective for the Diamond A50 and for at least some other 6326-based
cards is using the following in the Device section of the XF86config
file:

    Option      "no_bitblt"
    Option      "sw_cursor"

I've found that I do not need "no_linear" or "no_accel".

Jon
--
Jon Bloom, KE3Z
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Magnus Ehinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: EZ-BIOS and LILO
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:34:02 +0200

Eric Goforth wrote:

> My old hard drive crashed.  I've bought a new WD 13 Gig to replace it,
> and
> have installed Win98.  I'd like to reinstall RH 5.2 as on my old hard
> drive.
>
> However, my BIOS doesn't support > 8 Gig HDD so I installed Western
> Digital's EZ-BIOS.  I assume that this "lives" in my MBR, I see a little
> EZ-BIOS message at bootup, before the OS is loaded.  Is there any
> way that I can use LILO in my MBR as before?  What alternatives do I
> have?  Compaq sez they don't have a BIOS upgrade for my computer
> (Presario 4814 P233 MMX).

I had a similar problem some time ago. As I use both the Win95, OS/2 and
Linux operating systems (you know, "he who has the most operating systems
when he dies, wins") ;-), and they were all supposed to be on the same HD,
and my BIOS didn't accept >8GB HD, things were a bit complicated. After
successfully installing everything, I wrote down how it was done -- in case
I had to do it again, or something... This is my mini-HOWTO on installing
Linux on a WD hard drive, assuming that EZ-BIOS, Win95 & OS/2 are already
installed. NB.: I use Boot Manager to switch operating systems; this is why
LILO must not be installed in the MBR. Hope it helps!

1. Start the computer with no diskette in drive A:
2. When EZ-BIOS has initialized, press Ctrl. Insert the Linux boot diskette
into A: and continue with boot procedure from A:.
3. Install Linux as appropriate.
4. Install LILO in the first Linux partition (NOT the Master Boot Record
(MBR)).
5. When Linux has installed, reboot to OS/2 and launch FDISK.
6. Add partition of type 83 to the Boot Manager
7. You're done!

Regards,

  /Magnus

--
Magnus Ehinger                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 PhD student of molecular biophy-       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Can I use DISK DRUID after install . . .
Date: 11 Aug 1999 10:54:03 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Robin Smith  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>

>fdisk /dev/hdb
>
>or
>
>fdisk /dev/sdb (SCSI)

or cfdisk /dev/sdb if you like that better.

Villy

------------------------------

From: #[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tan)
Crossposted-To: jaring.os.linux
Subject: Re: Red Hat 6.0 Installation problem
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:11:42 GMT

OK, for my secondary HDD, now what I have to do is to delete my
extended dos partition (which is currently unused), but I can keep my
primary dos partition (which is currently used to store my files).
Then I've to use Linux's fdisk to partition the HDD. Is these correct?

But how am I going to create a partition such that it is reside under
cylinder 1024? Don't the primary dos partition already used up all the
space below cylinder 1024? I don't sure what is this cylinder stuff.

>From what I read in the Linux Installation Manual, if I have 2 HDD (as
primary and secondary master) and 1 CD-ROM (as primary slave), then
I've to install my linux one the PRIMARY master HDD, I can't install
it in the secondary master HDD. Am I interpret it correctly?

------------------------------

From: Mihaly Gyulai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: partition
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:39:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Robert J. Schweikert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I had an empty DOS partition sitting around on my drive ...
> I ran fdisk and mkfs to change the partition from DOS to Linux (ext2).
> ... what do I mount, some directory?

I suggest to create a new directory in /root :
  cd /
  mkdir /newpart

If your new partition is for example on /dev/hda7, you can
mount it :
  mount /dev/hda7 /newpart

After that you can use this partition under the directory '/newpart'.
Check the size of it by 'df'

Of course you want it always, so put a new line into your
/etc/fstab :
  dev/hda7  /newpart  ext2  defaults  1  1

All this procedure should be done by 'root' user. After that
you can use this partition as a normal user.

So, you have a directory-structure, which you use for storing
files, and some of these directories can be on any partitions...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Skeet)
Subject: Re: Server Chat & Web forum software for Linux?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 13:32:50 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I am looking for software that will allow people to post messages and
> replies but in a browser format, not a newsgroup.  Other terms would be
> message board, or bbs.  I have used a very good commercial product for
> Windows call Webboard by O'Reilly, but I am looking for something free or
> low cost.

Have a look at

http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/worms/w2w/

and see if that does all that you want it to. If you decide it does,
you're welcome to the source for it. I'm in the middle of a complete
rewrite which should make it much easier to get up and running, but I
don't know how long that will take. I'll give you a hand with it all if
you like.

There are Perl and PHP based systems around too - my one is written in C,
so you'll need to have compilation access on the machine.

--
Jon Skeet - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/

------------------------------

From: Jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Any Support for PCI Modems?
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 06:45:03 -0500

Hi!
 I Just got a PCI Modem and found out that they are not supported at all
in Linux. Is there anyone who is looking into that? This is not a
winmodem (it does not say "winmodem", but it says you need windoze) If
there is going to be support, I will keep it, if not, I guess I will
have to get rid of it. If PCI Modems are not supported, what other PCI
cards are not? controllers, sound, ect....  I was trying to free up a
ISA slot.

Thanks!  Jeremy