Linux-Misc Digest #361, Volume #26               Tue, 21 Nov 00 04:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: documentation for LaTeX (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: How could I run a perl script by crontab? (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Undelete a file in Linux (Donald Arseneau)
  Re: how can i check port? (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: Windows Manager and Desktop Enviroment (Graham Wilson)
  Re: OpenOffice (Graham Wilson)
  Re: simple shell script variable question
  Re: Can I use another distro's kernel? (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: about .htaccess (Duane Smeckert)
  Re: Problems with CDRW Creative 8433e (Dr Aldo Medina)
  Modified Cue Cat does not work on X windows (E J)
  Re: Why does linux keep crashing? ("Bob Jones")
  Re: Why does linux keep crashing? ("Bob Jones")
  Re: How to apply ATA100 patch to RH7 source tree? (crackdaddy)
  Re: Undelete a file in Linux (Claus Atzenbeck)
  Re: pop up message for quotas (Johannes Niess)
  Re: Frame Buffering and Red Hat 7.0 (Faux_Pseudo)
  Re: Slackware, Soundcards and kernel matters... (Sebastian Palm)
  Re: documentation for LaTeX (David M. Cook)
  Re: OpenOffice (Sebastian Palm)

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: documentation for LaTeX
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:38:40 -0500

Jan Schaumann wrote:

> * "Dan Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Can anyone point me to a good starter documentation for LaTeX.  I don't
> > doubt that it is already on my computer, but I am just wondering which
> > particular one is best to start with.  It might even help if you could
> > give me a webpage link for the most recent version.
>
> http://www.latex-project.org/
> http://www.ctan.org
> man latex
> man tex
> info latex
> info tex
>
> Probably the best thing to get into it is looking at some examples and
> the just try it. Youi get used to is quickly.
>
> > send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Nope. You ask in usenet, I answer in usenet.
>
> -Jan
>
> --
> Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>
>
> Win98 error 001: Unexpected condition: booted without crashing.

If you do not mind reading books, you may find:

"LaTeX A Document Preparation System(Second Edition)" by Leslie Lamport
(Addison Wesley) helpful.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How could I run a perl script by crontab?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:50:24 -0500

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> Jan Schaumann wrote:
>
> > * "Jean-David Beyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Peter may have been commenting on my remark that the original post was
> > > in HTML with a green background.
> >
> > Which is freaky in so far, as that I just had changed the default color
> > for qutoed text from blue to... guess what... green! :)
> >
> > Jean-David, you are using the wrong delimiter for your signature - you
> > should use "-- " instead of "--"
>
> I know, but I cannot do anything about it. Seems to be a bug in Netscape,
> even version 4.76. I think all the 4.7*'s have it, and perhaps all the 4.*
> for all I know.
>

> > -Jan
> >
> > --
> > Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>
> >
> > Bart:   Dad, you killed the Zombie Flanders!
> > Homer:  He was a zombie?
>
> --
>  .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
>  /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
> /( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
> ^^-^^  10:20pm up 7:33, 2 users, load average: 2.11, 2.07, 1.81

I wonder if this will work?

--

 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  10:45pm up 7:58, 2 users, load average: 2.31, 2.14, 2.04

------------------------------

From: Donald Arseneau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undelete a file in Linux
Date: 20 Nov 2000 20:28:15 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

> when Midnight Commander has been around for
> years -- maybe it's just to make people
> be careful --

But mc doesn't ensure recovery surely.  From the help:

  On Linux systems, if you asked configure to use the ext2fs
  undelete facilities, you will have the undelete file
  system available.

Presuming it is installed, it is not easy to find a particular file,

And you have to be root.

Donald Arseneau                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: how can i check port?
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 04:36:33 GMT

Immortal Love <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> If i set up several apache servers and ftp servers in my pc, how can i
> check if they're running and which ports sre they using? Is there any
> command?

You can always telnet to the port like

telnet localhost 80

To see which ports the machine listens on, use netstat.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: Graham Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows Manager and Desktop Enviroment
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:09:42 -0800

Dan wrote:

> Hi,

<some stuff removed>

> My questions is:
> 1) What is the difference between a Windows Manager and a
> Desktop/Graphical Enviroment.
> 2) What would be a good suggestion, Windows Manager or Desktop/Graphical
> Enviroment.
> 3) And finally, which Windows Manager or which Desktop/Graphical
> Enviroment should I use.
>
> Thanks for all info,
> Dan

What Jan had to say was good, I thought.  I'm just starting with GNU/Linux
and the first window manager I used was wmaker, which is supposed to be like
NextStep (cool).  I haven't gotten around to trying a Desktop environment
yet, because it does everything I want it to and allows me to explore the
intricacies of the system without getting in my way.  I'd recommend it.

G.

------------------------------

From: Graham Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OpenOffice
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:13:06 -0800

JCA wrote:

>     Has anybody tried this? It looks much nicer than older
> StarOffice versions (if it is only because it doesn't attempt
> to take over your desktop) but seems to be incomplete.
>
>     Experiences, anybody?

I ran it under the other os and it was a monster.  The price is right,
though, if you need that kind of thing.  Emacs rules, though. G.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: simple shell script variable question
Date: 21 Nov 2000 05:15:05 GMT

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:35:42 GMT,
Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

>>>i=`whoami`

>>>This text does not show what it i
looks like in the shell, but it is the
>>>same key as the ~, only without the shift.

>>Following that instruction I get #whoami#

>I just tried his example, and it worked
for me.  I don't know if it makes
>any difference or not, but what shell
are you running?  I'm running bash.
>Another possibility would be to use this:
>i=$(whoami)
which also works under bash.

The original poster's email was a .fr,
meaning he wrote from France. Probably
the trouble is everyone's using different
keyboards due to the different languages.

How/whether non-alphabetic
characters entered on different
language keyboards are handled in a
standard way by a shell
is a matter I know nothing about.
. . . I'm curious how it is managed.

I'll be back to see if anybody explains it.

MP

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Can I use another distro's kernel?
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 05:54:28 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan) writes:

> A friend just gave me a CD with Corel Linux, and the case says it's
> mostly based off of Debian, and at a higher release level than mine,
> which is Mandrake 6.0 at kernel 2.2-13mdk or something like that
> Rather than do a complete reinstall of Linux, is there a way that I can
> "import" the kernel itself? Would you recommend a recompile?

I have no idea either about Mandrake or Corel, but you can just
download the kernel from kernel.org. There is also a Kernel Howto
at http://www.linuxdoc.org.

> I really want to make use of an HSP internal modem, which the CD claims
> is supported right out-of-the-box. I haven't been able to use pctel.o
> (available on the web) as an insmod on my current Linux anyway. I'd like
> to get some use out of it if I can

There might be a problem here. If that modem is not supported by
the official kernel, so it is a Corel add-on, then recompiling your
kernel won't help. You have to figure this out.

It is possible to use the kernel provided by one vendor on another
vendor's linux, but you really have to know which files you need.
That's not that easy. If you don't really know this stuff then I
would recommend you to install Corel provided that modem is supported
only by them.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: Duane Smeckert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: about .htaccess
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 06:30:17 GMT

First I want to go on record as being very against
cross posing.  Please dont do it.
If you feel the message is so good that you want it in several groups,
then please have the decency to craft it for the groups that you post in
instead of blasting the same thing in several groups.

Next, I personally use PHP and a mysql database to maintain user/password
pairs.
That way I can add and remove users as needed.

It  also gives you the ability to control access on a per user basis.

------------------------------

From: Dr Aldo Medina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with CDRW Creative 8433e
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 00:50:47 -0600

Bob van der Poel wrote:

> Dr Aldo Medina wrote:
> >
> > I'm using RH 6.2 with updates on a PII, using IDE Creative, recompiling
> > kernel to support ide-scsi.
> >
> > I tried both Cdrecord -1.9 and 1.10 beta with similar results.
> >
> > When I try to burn a CD sometimes I get invalid access errors, in any
> > moment of the recording (begin, end, middle). After I get an error like
> > this, a few times my IDE HDs/CDROM are inaccesible and once my CD needed
> > a cold reset to work again.
> >
> > This happens about 66-75% of the times, even in dummy mode.
> >
> > It never happens in windows, using Nero 4 or 5.0
> >
> > --
> > Linux User #98419         -o)    | Similitudes entre mujeres y
> > http://counter.li.org      /\    | computadoras: 18. Las dos tienen
> > ICQ 94335020              _\_v   | sus métodos para no calentarse 19.
> > Si quieres ayudarme, ponme de    | No son capaces de pensar por su
> > referencia en www.puntosclub.com | cuenta
>
> I found that I had the same problems if I and the automount dameon
> running. Since canning this, all works okay. I think that the dameon
> might be trying to access the cd during the burn...but that's a
> uneducated guess. So, if you have 'automount' running, kill it and try
> again. Worth a try...

I don't have automount installed

--
Linux User #98419         -o)    | Message: Bad or missing mouse.
http://counter.li.org      /\    | Spank the cat? (Y/N)

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Modified Cue Cat does not work on X windows
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 06:53:53 GMT

I just modified my Cue Cat to read barcodes and spit out the numbers
without being scrambled.  It works under windows or text based linux,
but when I run X windows(KDE or Failsafe mode), it does not work.  When
I scan a barcode in X windows based text editor, the screen would just
give a few beeps and line feed.  How do I get my modified Cue Cat to
work under X windows?

------------------------------

From: "Bob Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why does linux keep crashing?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 07:07:41 GMT

The same thing happens when running the redhat supplied kernel as well as
compiling the redhat kernel sources.

------------------------------

From: "Bob Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 07:10:09 GMT

It doesn't seem to be the same things. It is almost always an error about
accessing virtual memory. I though it might be my swap so I created
another one on a different drive but had the same problems.
This is driving me bonkers as I've been bettling it for a month now. :(

------------------------------

From: crackdaddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: How to apply ATA100 patch to RH7 source tree?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 07:15:26 GMT

On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 21:24:43 GMT, James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Alex Lui wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I try applying the ATA100 patch from www.linux-ide.org site to my RH7
>> (2.2.16-22) kernel source tree, but I keep getting and error "Enter patch
>> name" when I run the command
>> "patch -p0 < patchfile" from the /usr/src directory.
>>
>> Any suggestion?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex Lui
>
>The common wisdom is that you should not try to patch the Kernel source that
>came with Red Hat.  You should download the official Kernel Source from
>kernel.org.
>
>However, if you open the patch with a text editor you will note that the
>third line (starts with "+++") refers to a directory.  The one which I have
>refers to: linux-2.2.16.c.  You need to make a link with that name to the
>base of your source tree for Patch to work by itself.
>
>JRT

huh? me stupid.. need more explain... please...
seriously though, I'm having the exact same problem (well, mandrake
7.2, kernel 2.2.17) but whatever you just said made no sense to me,
almost reminds me of whenever my wife speaks... the second her lips
start moving my brain shuts off (blabbermouth overload protection, get
yours today.) :) I really want this to work though, I compiled 2.4
test 10, but couldn't get anything to work ('cept my nifty little
ATA100 controller hehe) I also tried appending the boot loader with
the ide2=0x9400, 0x9002 etc... but then it just hangs trying to
configure hde... confusing... brain about to explode... argh!!

------------------------------

From: Claus Atzenbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:01:08 +0100

Alex wrote on Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:00:01 -0500:

> http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/mini/Ext2fs-Undeletion.html#toc14

Is there any information about how to undelete files on ReiserFS?

------------------------------

From: Johannes Niess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb,alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: pop up message for quotas
Date: 21 Nov 2000 09:10:12 +0100

Chris,

I'd use a little bit different approach as explained below.  My server
is still running samba 1. Quotas behave a little bit unconventional
there: The soft quota under Linux is a hard limit for Windows and the
total size of the share is calculated via df and ignores quotas. A
different unexpected behaviour is password aging via shadow passwords:
Even expired passwords allow logins. What has changed with qoutas and
password aging for Samba 2?

Johannes Niess

chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I am running samba 2.0.7 on a RH 6.2 machine.
>
> I would like to be able to inform users when they have almost reached
> their quota limit with a pop-up window.  I know I have to use the
> "smbclient -M" to do this, but I am not certain of how it should be
> implemented. Is there something I can do in smb.conf to have it:
>
> 1)check how much space is left on their quota share everytime they save
> something

This would need serious hacking into the smbd daemon. I'd go for a
cron job (e.g. every 5 minutes) executing a script.

> 2)send them the pop-up message.

smbclient ...

> Has anyone else tried this?

Another approach might be via the "df" script in samba. You could try
to use the "quota" command here and extract the right values. A
default case for users/shares without qouta should extract values from
"df". Otherwise you might need to give quotas for every partition and
every user.

I'd like to hear comments about system load generated by this
approach.

> I would really love to hear how you did it, and some sample smb.conf /
> shell script code would be great.

I expect the scripts need less than 80 characters...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Faux_Pseudo)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Frame Buffering and Red Hat 7.0
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 08:29:53 GMT

--(Once apon a time, in alt.os.linux,)--
                --([EMAIL PROTECTED] said it like only they can.)--
>I was installing Red Hat 7.0 this weekend and noticed something bad
>about the installer. The Xconfigurator doesn't probe my card anymore
>like v6.1 -&- 6.2. HA! I even used XF86Setup and it crapped out... just
>a grey screen with the X for the mouse.
>
>Which led me back to Frame Buffering....

<snip>
edit /etc/lilo.conf
set vga=xxx to one of the following

       Colours 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024 1600x1200
       --------+---------------------------------------------
       256     |  769    771      773      775      796
       32,768  |  784    787      790      793      797
       65,536  |  785    788      791      794      798
       16.8M   |  786    789      792      795      799

>From the Vesafb mini-HOWTO

it is also recomended that in lilo.conf you creat a duplicate
entry for use with apps that dont handle framebuffers like quake
and use vga=ask ie

image = /vmlinuz
        root = /dev/hda1
        label = linux
        vga = 788
image = /vmlinuz
        root = /dev/hda1
        label = quake
        vga=ask

rerun lilo

--
 ._______.
 | <> <> |  GUI's are for slackers.  ibpconf.sh 5 on freshmeat.net
  \-|o|-/  The easiest way to customize the command line.  By Faux_Pseudo
   /___\  -(root[2:45pm]/root)-
   (MMM) --([EMAIL PROTECTED])-- export UIN=66618055

------------------------------

From: Sebastian Palm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slackware, Soundcards and kernel matters...
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 08:32:00 GMT

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:43:32 GMT, Sebastian Palm wrote:
> [sound problems snipped]
> >Next, the 2.4.0-test9 kernel. It looks good, it starts good  -
> >but where oh where did my modules go? I can find the files,
> >but modprobe has turned blind.
>
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.0-testXX/Documentation/Changes
>
> says "upgrade your modutils package, along with 5 or 6 other
utilities"
> and gives URLs to where you can get these things from.  The new
modutils
> will work just fine with an older kernel tree, should you decide to go
> back to 2.2.x for whatever reason.  HTH, good luck, if it's just USB
you
> need, GET THE BACKPORT FOR THE 2.2.X SERIES!  http://linux-usb.org/

According to the 2.2.17 kernel, I've got a PS/2 mouse and keyboard.
According to the 2.4.0 kernel, they're USB/HID compatible - which
coincidentally is what it says both in Win2K and on the hardware
packaging... Apart from that, the 2.4.0 claims to support ACPI,
which I've just paid good money to get compatible hardware for,
since Win2K won't even perform ATX functions without full ACPI.
(Like powering down on exit, frex).

I'll be getting that new modutils package, though, and thanks
for all the tips...

Sebastian

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Date: 21 Nov 2000 08:39:14 GMT

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:17:41 +0800, Dan Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Can anyone point me to a good starter documentation for LaTeX.

The (not so) short intro is pretty good.  You can find a link to the pdf doc
here:

http://www.nhn.ou.edu/~morrison/LaTeX/index.shtml

I wouldn't bother with Lamport's book.  I never thought it was a very good
intro, and it's totally inadequate as a reference.

I never liked the LaTeX Companion, either, though that was much more
detailed.  It's just that the detail was painful to dig out.

There's a book called something like _LaTeX for Linux_ that looks pretty
good (though including "Linux" in the title seems like a gimmick), but it's
expensive for a paperback.

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: Sebastian Palm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 08:38:38 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Graham Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> JCA wrote:
>
> >     Has anybody tried this? It looks much nicer than older
> > StarOffice versions (if it is only because it doesn't attempt
> > to take over your desktop) but seems to be incomplete.
> >
> >     Experiences, anybody?
>
> I ran it under the other os and it was a monster.  The price is right,
> though, if you need that kind of thing.  Emacs rules, though. G.

Just installed it under Slackware 7.1/KDE 2.0. Looks good, feels good,
opens my Excel tables without messing them up (like kspread does).
Haven't had the time to do much in the word processor, but I will...
And best of all, SFAICT, _no paperclip_! Worth every penny I paid
for that mag... :-)

Sebastian