From: Franklin Xu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I'm getting blind...help...
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 14:43:42 -0800

Hi guys:
 I recently download the X Server for my NeoMagic card, it started X
right away after I installed it, However,the default refresh rate is
60hz, from what I can tell from XF86Config:
# 1024x768 @ 60 Hz, 48.4 kHz hsync
Modeline "1024x768"    65    1024 1032 1176 1344   768  771  777  806
-hsync -vsync

Of course, this is for external CRT monitor support. I have a Toshiba
7010 notebook which uses NeoMagic 2160 chipset.  I know this card can do
85hz on external monitors, Win95 let me choose that refresh rate.
Running at 60hz tires my eyes so easily, it actually hurts after I spend
just an hour in Linux.

I don't know what each numbers in above line means, and it doesn't have
number 60 in it, even though the comment says it's running at 60hz.
Anyone know how to adjust it so that the monitor can be run at 85hz?

Thanks a million, I will go blind if I kept staring at that monitor at
60hz. :(

Franklin

------------------------------

From: "Karsten M. Self" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Shell scripts
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 15:20:33 +0000

> If you are going to be doing much shell programming, I would highly
> recommend getting a good book on the subject.

Such as "Unix Power Tools" from O'Reilly.  This and the Nutshell book
where all that it took for me to get into shell programming.  I find
most tutorial books are a little too abstract.

Enthusiasts might also suggest you learn Perl, as there are things which
require a sick and twisted mind to do in a shell script which only
require a sick _or_ twisted mind in Perl.

--
Karsten M. Self ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

    Welchen Teil von "Gestalt" verstehen Sie nicht?

web:       http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
SAS/Linux: http://www.netcom.com/~kmself/SAS/SAS4Linux.html

  7:11am  up 5 days,  8:24, 11 users,  load average: 0.26, 0.33, 0.26

------------------------------

From: "Harry Nangle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Unusual(?) pppd problem
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:02:54 -0000

I'm experiencing difficulty with my internet connection when I go to a URL
and I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong...

I can dial out successfully and open a browser (Arena, Lynx or Netscape).
However when the browser tries to open a URL it halts, waiting for
me to move or click the mouse!  Continually moving my mouse (or hitting
a button) enables the web page to be downloaded.  If I stop moving the mouse
around, the page will cease downloading until I resume moving.

I'm using SuSE Linux 5.2 and a Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1a, if that give any
clues!

Many thanks

From: hamid misnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why I choose HP-UX over Linux
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 14:35:45 +0800

Ilya wrote:

> Paul Jimbo Duncan G7KES <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi there, and Happy New Year for tommorow evening :-)
>
> > Ilya wrote:
> > >
> > > OK, I feel cold and need flames to warm me up.  I want to list the reasons
> > > why I prefer HP-UX over Linux.
>
> > Sorry, not very good at flames. My first question, how much did you have
> > to pay for HP-UX?
>
> OK, you made your point.

Gee, I thought HP-UX should come free with any HP machine? ie you dunnot
need to pay for HP-UX license. (Well, that what I was told when I bought
HP9000 years ago).

------------------------------

From: "Sergei Gerasenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: need help installing KDE
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 18:19:32 -0500

I have RedHat Linux 5.0 with the 2.0.32 kernel. I'm trying to install KDE on
it. I downloaded the software from the Kaldera web site. It all goes well
till the point when I install kdebase-1.0-1.i386.rpm. I get the following
error:

failed dependencies
            libncurses.so.4 is needed by kdebase-1.0-1.

Can I install KDE on RedHat at all? What is libncurses.so.4 and what can I
do about the problem? the X server I'm using is X86_SVGA. Also, I downloaded
the KDE files through NT and naturally the archive names were cut short when
I transfered them to Linux. Is that the problem?

I would appreciate any advice,
                        Sergei

------------------------------

From: "David Z. Maze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FAQ for "X" over LAN from RH 5.2
Date: 07 Jan 1999 10:53:40 -0500

Please correct your "From:" line to contain a valid return address.
I've corrected it in the citation.

Zachary hamm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Zachary> I'm trying to use a RedHat 5.2 Linux serve to serve up "X"
Zachary> over the local LAN here.  Clients will be WIN95 running
Zachary> Exceed or similar Xwindows client.

Terminology: swap "client" and "server" here.  The program that
listens for incoming connections and displays stuff on the screen is a
"server", application programs that talk to servers are "clients".

Zachary> Is there a decent FAQ or HOWTO that explains this well?  The
Zachary> ones with Redhat don't seem to explain anything except local
Zachary> X setup for the Linux box itself.

Look for the Remote-X-Apps mini-HOWTO.  On my (Debian), machine, it's
in /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/.

Zachary> What setup do I need to do on Linux to properly setup for
Zachary> remote X?

X libraries, clients.  You don't need an X server unless you also want
X applications to display on the Linux box itself.  (This is
essentially the default setup on almost every Linux machine, less a
server.)

--
 _____________________________
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called
\_____________________________/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Choon-Cheng Chee (remove "removethis" in my e-mail))
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it
works again!?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 14:53:09 GMT

On Thu, 07 Jan 1999 01:31:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric
Hardwick) wrote:

>This is so strange since this system worked perfectly before I
>installed the 56k modem, which works great under both OS's! Why would
>re-installing LILO fix the Loading vfat module problem? What does a
>modem have to do with LILO?

Try disconnecting the modem and see if the problem goes away. If it
does, then we can be sure the modem is the culprit, and my guess is
the modem is using system resources that may conflict with whatever
Linux is trying to use. Of course I have no clue how an external
device can cause such a conflict. Try moving the modem to a different
COM port.

Also, with PnP modem, the usual advice is to turn off PnP support.

Good luck!

Choon-Cheng Chee
=========================
chee at mail-me dot com
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
=========================
* Watch my return address! Editing required !*

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve mcadams)
Subject: Re: automatic startx under SuSE 5.3?
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 23:29:03 GMT

[Snipped for brevity, quoted material marked with ">"]
On 6 Jan 1999 06:20:18 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh) wrote:

>>I tried putting "startx" at the bottom of my .profile, and although it
>>comes up, there is a message in the xterm saying that the X server is
>>already running; the xterm then closes itself.  fvwm2 continues to
>>work, but I'd like it to come up cleanly.
>
>If you are already running X why do you want to ask it to run X again?

I don't think I was running X.  The .profile is run immediately after
login while I'm in console mode, isn't it?  I suspect that although
"startx" is what I would issue from the cmdline, if I put it in my
.profile I need some other command, but I don't know what it would be.

>If you log onot that user from the console, I assume X comes up fine. (I
>assume you are not running xdm, or again why are you trying to start X
>again?

No, if I log off and then log on again, I get the error messages about
X server already running.  I'm not running xdm; it seems that if you
run xdm, then everybody runs in grphics mode; I just want one of my
three userids to come up and automatically do the same thing it would
do if I typed "startx" at the console.  -steve
Tools for programmers: http://www.codetools.com/showcase

------------------------------

From: "Andreas Henke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems with Root-Raid 0
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:34:47 +0100

I've tried to get a root mounted Raid-partition work, but failed until now.
I've installed a very small system in an initrd File with a linuxrc that
should mount my /dev/md0 as root filesystem. But that linuxrc is not being
started (I think), there's no message to be seen from the echo commands in
the linuxrc. After mounting the initrd, the system goes on with another
partition as root. Is there anything special to be done with the linuxrc?
thanks, Andi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tarcus)
Subject: Re: APM causes system clock to "sleep"?
Date: 6 Jan 1999 21:37:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Andy Piper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I know the machine's internal clock is fine, because when I
> rebooted yesterday the time was correct again (I also checked the
> BIOS settings to confirm that it was all OK). Yet I have no way
> of re-syncing the clock now without rebooting :-(

This sounds rather strange!  Have you got APM enabled in the kernel?
At any rate, read the manual page for the "clock" command, you can
re-read the hardware clock and set the software clock from it.

--
>From the keyboard of Tarcus himself, running Linux in the UK.
                 -- There are no facts, only opinions --

------------------------------

From: Daren Scot Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Newbie asks: why Linux?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 11:25:21 +0000

dave dufeau wrote:

> I am a Linux neophyte who is questioning whether this is the OS for
> me.  Perhaps some of you could put my mind at ease as to whether or not
> Linux is an OS for programmers only.
>
>         I do a good deal of image processing for my thesis work (see URL
> below), but virtually no programming.

Lotsa tools available for unix/linux - GIMP, Utah Raster Toolkit,
ImageMagick,

On MS Windows, there's Adobe Photoshop which wasn't meant for scientific
work (but neither is GIMP), Thumbs Plus,  and some cheesy cheap
programs.  Scientists use unix, so all the graphics tools available for
unix support, to some extent, scientific image work.  NASA scientists
often use XV for viewing.  But the biggest advantage of unix software is
if you need a new feature, just let a programmer know and you'll get it,
while you may have to wait forever to get that feature in commercial
software.
When I had to do some image processing (one-bit bitmaps of blueprints)
we couldn't find any software for MS Win that we could set up with a
script file or otherwise automate - we had to have a "trained monkey" to
babysit OK buttons.  SOmeone has to sit there to make it go.  Unix,
OTOH, was designed to run software automatically with scripts and in
other ways.

I've played with Be and it has great potential, but I don't recommend it
for serious work just yet  - it still needs powerful software.

Oh, and also the prospect of being able to laugh in the face
> of the Microslop corporate monster.

Not a technical issue, but it sure feels good!

>  Quite frankly, everything I
> have read regarding installation, configuration, and (shudder)
> compiliation leaves me a bit apprehensive.

Installing from Red Hat should give you a working system. There's only a
small chance something will go wrong.  (As opposed to a 50% chance if
you install MS Win.)

If you're in an academic or research environment, and the need to
recompile the kernel or diddle with device drivers comes up, you will
probably find someone who can do it for you.  Normally there's no
need.   As for upgrading, just stick to software that comes in the form
of RPM files.

I would bet that everything you're worrying about is one-time only - you
need to install only once, get the network configured only once, etc.
When you're past that, life will be easy.

>   I want a stable working
> environment, with portability and network accessability, but I don't
> want to become a programmer to achieve this.

You may want to find someone to help with the installation.  Once it's
going, it should be smooth sailing for a long time.

--
Daren Scot Wilson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 06 Jan 1999 16:09:21 -0800

"Rick Glunt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The man pages fro sendmail and fetchmail both indicate they return codes
> that will tell a script wheter they have completed properly or not.  How do
> I access these codes from a shell script?  I want fetchmail to run, then
> have sendmail start after fetchmail completes.  Any sample code?

With bash: The code is in the shell variable named "?".  As in:

$ asdf
bash: asdf: command not found
$ echo "'$?'"
'127'

But often you don't need it.  Examine this:

$ asdf && echo ok
bash: asdf: command not found
$ echo dog && echo ok
dog
ok

Notice the first "echo ok" never got executed.

Do read the bash man page; it's has tons of good stuff.

And there are some online shell resources in Gary's Encyclopedia at

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/shells.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Simon)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: need better info on settting up SAMBA
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 21:02:11 GMT

On Tue, 05 Jan 1999 22:16:14 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeffrey Greer)
wrote:

>Hello Linux users,
>
>I'm a networking dummy.  I've looked at SAMBA.org's doc's and others, but I
>don't know where to start.

try home.tvd.be/ws35056/linux/samba.html

Simon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve mcadams)
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 23:29:06 GMT

[Snipped for brevity, quoted material marked with ">"]
On Wed, 6 Jan 1999 03:17:50 -0500, "Adam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>If you only want to ever run X, then you should use XDM as your login
>server.  Try putting it in as the last thing in your last init script.
>(/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm)
>
>To try it out, just type "xdm" from console.  (NOT from within X)

This gives me an X-based login screen.  I don't want to run the whole
system in X, all I want to do (seems simple enough) is automate the
typing of "startx" in one particular userid.  But putting "startx" in
that user's .profile causes the "X server already running" error
message.  -steve

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can RedHat 5.1 install "onto"itself
Date: 06 Jan 1999 16:13:18 -0800

You can install it on top of older versions, so I'd bet you can
do it on top of itself, but it may take longer than a fresh
install, because it makes backup copies of many of your config
files. (xxx.redhat ? I forget.)

------------------------------

From: "Scott Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
rec.games.computer.quake.misc,uk.games.computer.quake2,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Quake and Linux
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 09:42:32 GMT

YeLLoW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<75bob1$3q8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Please do not post binaries. Please do not cross post. Please go away.

        I don't know what group your read/post to YeLLoW, so I've left the
crossposting as is.

        1. What binary ?
        2. I dunno about the linux groups, but, as far as I can tell, the only
group the original posting was off-topic in was comp.games.dev.prog.misc.
        3. You also crossposted, you didn't set followup-to, you were rude and you
quoted virtually the entire original message to only add what amounted to a
single line flame.

        Have you ever heard of the phrase "he who is without sin, cast the first
stone" ?

--
Scott Hill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't
exist..."
                                                                - Verbal Kint.

"the Internet is here so we can waste time talking about nothing in
 particular when we should be working" - Marcus Hill.

"We will decide what the news is. The news is what we tell you it is." -
The Fox TV network.

------------------------------

From: "WCW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,pl.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: good office package for linux
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 19:56:22 -0500

Hell! I downloaded StarOffice and WordPerfect with my cable modem and got
done in less than 5 minutes. :^)

------------------------------

From: "Karsten M. Self" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't boot from HDD.
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 15:34:47 +0000

> Up until recently, I've been playing with SlakWare '96 as my linux platform
> of choice.  My HDD setup was a 430MB IDE and a 200MB IDE.  It seemed to be
> running fine, until I had a power outtage.  Ever since then, I kept getting
> disk read errors.

Suggest checking the disk with DOS or Linux FS utilities.  Norton
Utilities for DOS, mke2fs / e2fsk for Linux.  Get Tom's Root Boot
(ftp://ftp.toms.net/rb) for Linux has a mke2fs and e2fsck or
equivalents.

> On christmas, I got the Linux Unleashed book that also comes with RedHat 5.1.
> I also got a new 1.3GB HDD.  I removed the other drives, and I now have only
> the 1.3GB in my linux machine.

Is the drive bootable?

> So, I'm starting with a brand new (AGAIN!!!) redhat linux installation, and
> this is the first time I've ever used the RPM, (I'm used to using the COLORS
> installation method).  I tried using FDISK, but it would not acknowledge that
> I had anything over 528MB,

Explain, with output if possible.  How about a DOS FDISK?

> so I used Disk Druid, and it was successfull, I
> think.  I set it for 933mb linux partition, and a 100mb linux swap partition.
> Everything seemed to install fine, but when the reboot came after the
> installation, all that would happen was that it would print 'LI' of 'LILO',
> and then lock up.  I was able to boot using the bootable diskette.

Read the LILO documentation, which describes the diagnostics associated
with the L-I-L-O sequence:

LILO start message
- - - - - - - - -

When LILO loads itself, it displays the word "LILO". Each letter is
printed
before or after performing some specific action. If LILO fails at some
point, the letters printed so far can be used to identify the problem.
This
is described in more detail in the technical overview.

Note that some hex digits may be inserted after the first "L" if a
transient disk problem occurs. Unless LILO stops at that point,
generating
an endless stream of error codes, such hex digits do not indicate a
severe
problem.

  (<nothing>)  No part of LILO has been loaded. LILO either isn't
installed
    or the partition on which its boot sector is located isn't active.
   L <error> ...   The first stage boot loader has been loaded and
started,
    but it can't load the second stage boot loader. The two-digit error
    codes indicate the type of problem. (See also section "Disk error
    codes".) This condition usually indicates a media failure or a
geometry
    mismatch (e.g. bad disk parameters, see section "Disk geometry").
   LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage
boot
    loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
    installer.
   LIL   The second stage boot loader has been started, but it can't
load
    the descriptor table from the map file. This is typically caused by
    media failure or by a geometry mismatch.
   LIL?   The second stage boot loader has been loaded at an incorrect
    address. This is typically caused by a subtle geometry mismatch or
by
    moving /boot/boot.b without running the map installer.
   LIL-   The descriptor table is corrupt. This can either be caused by
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/map without running the map
    installer.
   LILO   All parts of LILO have been successfully loaded.

> I decided that the problem was that the boot sector was over 1023 sectors, so
> I repartitioned the hdd to use 510mb as a linux partition, 500mb as a linux
> partition, and 17mb for linux swap partition.

It's also possible you haven't correctly identified your root partition,
or that you haven't updated LILO since repartitioning your system.  You
might want to boot DOS and run LOADLIN.EXE to boot Linux, fix LILO, then
try booting your HD again.

--
Karsten M. Self ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

    Welchen Teil von "Gestalt" verstehen Sie nicht?

web:       http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
SAS/Linux: http://www.netcom.com/~kmself/SAS/SAS4Linux.html

  7:21am  up 5 days,  8:34, 11 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.25, 0.23