Linux-Misc Digest #503, Volume #20                Sat, 5 Jun 99 09:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Termcap.h, have you ever heard of it? (Scott Smith)
  Re: rpm not working (Villy Kruse)
  Re: Linux onto windows 98 prob (Jason Nickerson)
  German computer mag c't to schedule (IIS+NT) vs. (Apache+Linux) competition! (Marc
Mutz)
  Re: IP Masquerade over paralell line ("D. Vrabel")
  Re: off-group - sorry - MSie5 stops MSoffice installing (Mark Worsdall)
  How to fsck root filesystem without rebooting? (Graeme Geldenhuys)
  Re: Problems with TV-out on X-windows (Overmars)
  connect to linux as root using SMB ("Charles Wilkins")
  Re: Third-party e-mail notification (Praveen)
  Re: Which Internet Service Provider is especially Linux-friendly? (Alan Fried)
  Re: How to remove hard linked directory? (CodeWright)
  Re: linux beginner-somebody help (CodeWright)
  Re: Does this OS exist? (Richard Slobod)
  Re: vmware for linux (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: Compiling new kernel (2.2-15) (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: How to edit a file in /proc (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: Link Question (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: Mice recommendations (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: Linux |Going over 98 (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: Masquerading: strange question (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: My story (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: One strange question - Can I boot Linux without Lilo ? (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: strange network problem (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: Please give me a clue how to see the internet (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: Problem: Duplicating HDD via LAN (Sitaram Chamarty)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Smith)
Subject: Re: Termcap.h, have you ever heard of it?
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 03:52:00 GMT

On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 23:56:43 +0000, Ben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Actually, I have two questions.
>
>    I believe the references try to refer to functions in the termcap
>library.  Unfortunately,
>    #include<termcap.h> leads to an error.  Does anyone know how to
>include the termcap library?

I *think* installing ncurses will take care of this. It comes with termcap
and terminfo stuff.

>2. (Problem)....How do you find i/o conflicts in linux or what is
>conflicting with what?
>It seems that my sound card's i/o port 220 is being used by another device.

Remove the sound card, boot up, and `cat /proc/ioports` to see what device
is overlapping the io range you need.

--
Scott Lacy Smith  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                              Student of Computer Science

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: rpm not working
Date: 5 Jun 1999 13:23:16 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, sam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>How does one install the following RPM:  exmh......src.rpm?  When I use
>rpm -i exmh...., I get a return but nothing else -- no comments, no new
>files, no error message.

Look in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES  (rplace the word 'redhat' wiht whatever
is appropriate to your system).  Here you'll find what you installed.

Villy

------------------------------

From: Jason Nickerson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux onto windows 98 prob
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 21:04:38 -0600

User941444 wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have installed linux on my computer which already had win 95 on it which was
> On an fat 32 partition. I have since re-installed 95 from dos. Now the lilo
> prompt does not apear, it attempts to boot directly into windows. Once windows
> booted the fisrt time, after re-installation, it said that ntkern.vxd was
> missing and that i must re-install the os. Is this related to haveing lilo
> installed.
>
> PS, I did not reformat the disk before hand or alter any partision atributes.
>
> Any help much apreciated.
>
> Thanks,

Yeap, that's what happens when you install any Windows OS over an existing Linux
OS, wipes out the MBR!  As far as the ntkern.vxd, don't know :-(  .  lilo
shouldn't have any affect on Windows since it effectively wiped it out...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 13:54:20 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: German computer mag c't to schedule (IIS+NT) vs. (Apache+Linux) competition!

Hi out there!

Not dreaming of stopping the fight, I'd like to turn your attention to a
test being underway to compare Win-NT and MS IIS vs. Linux and Apache
web serving performance.

The hardware to be used (as known to me):
4 cpu's
2 gig ram
raid subsystem.

Watch http://www.heise.de/ct/ for results. They are to be published in
c't no. 13, out 21st of June.

What about a cease-fire up until then?

Marc Mutz

------------------------------

From: "D. Vrabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Masquerade over paralell line
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 13:09:02 +0100

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Peter Caffin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > The plan:  To vastly expand my A1200 when I return home from University
> > in about two weeks, and install Debian.  To connect it to my 486 Linux
> > box via the parallel port,
>
> On DOS machines, there are drivers for ethernet across the parallel ports
> of two PCs. You've got to rig up a special cable for it, however. I'd be
> very surprised if there wasn't a Mini-HOWTO or some documentation on
> getting this going under Linux.
Ethernet across the parallel ports?  I think what your looking for is PLIP
(Parallel Line Interface protocol (?).

David Vrabel

------------------------------

From: Mark Worsdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: off-group - sorry - MSie5 stops MSoffice installing
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 13:09:13 +0100

In article <01beaef8$b95db080$0401a8c0@idt>, Mage... <mage@tex-
is.spamstinx.net> writes
>Interesting, in the way that a car wreck is interesting only to those
>who are not directly injured.
>
>Off topic, definately.

Yep, sorry.

>I hope your situation improves, you may be interested in one of
>the programs that are supposed to be able to read and write
>Office97 files, such as WordPerfect, StarOffice, Applix, etc....

It was sorted.

Yep have staroffice at home for my Linux and Win98 boxes and when excell
cocked up one of my spreadsheets, it just wouldn't open it, Staroffice
would and recovered most of the data, and did it for free:-)

--
Mark Worsdall - Oh no, I've run out of underpants :(
Home:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]  WEB site:- http://www.worsdall.demon.co.uk

------------------------------

From: Graeme Geldenhuys <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: How to fsck root filesystem without rebooting?
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 08:49:11 +0200

Hi!

I had a horrible fs crash last week, due to my PC not rebooting and
Linux
not checking for any errors.

Is there a way I can make cron run fsck daily and mail me if there are
serious problems?  I ran e2fsck, fsck and fsck.ext2, but they all say
that the root filesystem is mounted and damage will occur if fsck is
ran.

All I want it to do is check it without trying to fix anything and if it
comes across serious errors, mail me...

Any ideas...
  - Graeme -

------------------------------

From: Overmars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with TV-out on X-windows
Date: 5 Jun 1999 11:53:26 GMT

My Display card is IGS Cyberpro 2010.
The TV encoding is PAL or NTSC.
The TV out of the display card works well with Windows-95 and Linux console
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
But only it can ouput colors on the monitor under X-windows but not on TV.
I use the composite Video- input on the TV.
The X-server used is XF86_SVGA.

Clear picture can be seen in some modeline setting such as :
Modeline "640x535" 25.07 640 672 768 808 535 550 556 625 -hsync -vsync
but still only B&W.

Then what can I do in order to display colors under X-windows on TV?
Besides, it also can output colors on the monitor under X-windows but not

------------------------------

From: "Charles Wilkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: connect to linux as root using SMB
Date: 5 Jun 1999 08:43:17 GMT

Is there a way to connect to linux using the SMB service from Win95?

I am having no problems connecting with a normal user account, but I need
access to all the files and I would prefer to not have to extend root
privileges to my user account.

Like all of the other linux services, remote root does not appear to be an
option.
At least telnet has su . . .

Is there anything like this for SMB?

regards,
Charles Wilkins

Where do you want microsoft to go today?

------------------------------

From: Praveen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Third-party e-mail notification
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 20:02:55 -0500

"Bill K." wrote:

> Does anybody know of any software or how to set up existing standard
> Linux software to send notification of new mail to a third party without
> actually sending its content?  This would be quite useful for those who
> rarely check their mail to have a third person notify them of mail
> receipt without compromising any privacy.
>
> --
> Bill K.  ( b i l l y @ c a f e . n e t )
> **** WARNING ****  All unsolicited bulk e-mail received at this address
> will be promptly reported to the sender's system administrator, and to
> law enforcement authorities whenever applicable.

Check out KBiff. I found it on the RH6.0 CD. In the configuration you
have the option of running any command you want when a new mail arrives.
Set it up to run a script or whatever you want (page the recipient or
dial the cell phone????).

-Praveen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Fried)
Subject: Re: Which Internet Service Provider is especially Linux-friendly?
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 12:31:37 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dxx-Richard_T_Myers(0)0) wrote:

>I am shopping for an ISP, and will be using several home systems with
>Linux and Windows installed. I'm interested in newsgroups, PPP, and having
>a shell account on an ISP system for web-hosting. Reasonable flat rate for
>normal access much preferred. (I'm in the Denver Colorado area)
>
>Suggestions?

It depends what you mean by friendly. On most you must write
a script and it works easily.

For instance I use AT&T and on their site they give specific
directions on how to write the script and it works!!!

Just my 2 cents

Alan

------------------------------

From: CodeWright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to remove hard linked directory?
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 22:00:34 -0400

Christian Becker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> hard linked directories are in general a bad idea but a our CVS server
> created one during a crash. It is named /home/cvsroot/$CVSROOT and links
> to the /home/cvsroot directory. Any idea how to remove it, since
> "rm -d" as root does not work complaining "operation not permitted"?
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Christian

How about...

/*--------------------start of code ----------------------*/

/*
** This is untested, prototype code.
** It does not include sanity checks, error checks, or
** *any* other feature that should be reasonably included
** in this sort of utility.
** Use at your own risk!!
*/

#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
        if (argc == 2)
        {
                unlink(argv[1]);
        }
        else fprintf(stderr,"Usage: %s file_or_directory\n",argv[0]);
        return 0;
}

/*------------------ end of code ------------------------*/

Compile and run as root. first argument is name of directory to be
unlinked.
Caution!! This bypasses *all* the sanity checks that would normally be
found
in such a utility (such as rm). Use at your own risk.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

------------------------------

From: CodeWright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux beginner-somebody help
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 22:06:59 -0400

Vladan wrote:

> Gentleman, what Linux would YOu recomend ? I have heard that Red Hat is
> the best.

It depends on what you mean by "the best".

If you mean "best (easiest) to install", I've heard that Red Hat fits
the bill.
If you mean "best to mirror a production Unix", then Slackware may be
for you.

Personally, I use Slackware, but I know others that swear by Red Hat.

> And would You recomend any truly good books.  Is there any books that
> makes parallel between Unix and Linux.

O'Reilly is the publisher of a great many good Unix *and* Linux books.
Check
out their titles.

> And also any good web sites with tutorials on this topic ?

There's too many to list. Try an Infoseek or Yahoo search with the
keywords
"Unix" and "tutorial" and you'll get a good list.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Slobod)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.minix,comp.os.msdos.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.misc
Subject: Re: Does this OS exist?
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 12:54:43 GMT

[note:  comp.os.misc added to the newsgroups line and followups
redirected there, as this thread is off-topic in the groups in which
it's currently being posted]

"Pedro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The original poster wanted to ensure that in event of an error "the calling
>program can get control back".  I was just saying that you can't guarantee
>this without some sort of pre-emptive multitasking.

Multitasking isn't required to provide the user with a key combination
that kills the current process.  There was, in fact, an old DOS TSR
called Respro that provided this capability as a secondary function
(its primary function was TSR management).  This requires user
intervention of course, but there really isn't any safe way for the OS
itself to detect a locked-up app anyway.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: vmware for linux
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:38:17 GMT

On Thu, 03 Jun 1999 22:03:01 GMT, Alan Fried <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ramin Sina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>has anyone tried vmware ? Any opinions?
>>
>>Ramin Sina
>
>I've tried it. It works great if you do fresh install
>of a windows on a virtual disk. Performance is almost
>as good natively. I can't get sound to work and now
>I'm having trouble getting online.
>
>As a raw disk option it sucks and I would caution
>against using this option as it screwd up my configuration
>the three times I tried.

It would have screwed up mine too, but I had a nice bit-level
backup of /dev/hda1.

I wish I had the space to create a "virtual disk" partition and do
it that way, I'm sure I'd have better luck.  As it is, I just
dumped it.  I'll wait a few months and try again.

(Biggest problem I had was it tries to write to the MBR once in a
while, and I've got that sector to "read-only", so when the pop-up
message comes up I can only choose to kill the whole thing.  Not a
good thing on NT!  Wish they had a choice to "Ignore" instead of
just "Abort" or "Allow")

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: Compiling new kernel (2.2-15)
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:38:20 GMT

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:36:49 -0400, Al Nios <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm trying to compile a new kernel and cannot seem to get it working. I'm
>using Kernel 2.2.5-15 with SMP support - I can compile a new kernel just
>fine but when it's loading and gets to Checking Module Dependencies - It
>freezes. A check of 'depmod -a 2.2.5-15smp-new' reveals: "unresolved
>symbols" for hundreds of modules (i.e: unresolved symbol for vfat.o, even if
>vfat.o exists in the /lib/modules/2.2.5-15smp-new directory.

I got the same thing when I moved from stock RH 5.2 (2.2.36) to
2.2.6.  I think I solved it by copying the System.map that's
generated in /usr/src/linux onto /boot.  If the one in /boot is a
symlink, remove it first, since it's likely pointing to an older
system.map with a version specific name.  (Simply cp-ing
/usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot will be very misleading!)

If that doesnt make sense email me - I will be a little more
coherent tomorrow ;-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: How to edit a file in /proc
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:38:25 GMT

On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 10:26:17 +0200, Charly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>        I want to edit a file that stands in /proc but I
>don't know what
>program to use to do that. I tried vi (maybe a silly
>solution). It
>worked but when I reboot, the modification are discarded.

/proc is not a real filesystem.  Think of it as an "image" into
the kernel's variables.

To make "permanent" changes to files in /proc/sys (which I assume
you mean, since the other parts of /proc are basically read-only),
you must put stuff in - e.g. - /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  Example:

    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

That way it will get executed on every boot.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: Link Question
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:38:27 GMT

On Thu, 03 Jun 1999 22:31:28 GMT, Arthur Merar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am a bit new to Linux.  I have Jet Admin for Linux and I want to
>install it.  However, it is sitting on my Windows box.   How can I
>create a link from my Linux box through my network to my Windows box
>so I can get this archive?

There're a couple of ways.  All assume your network is setup OK
(as you implied).

(1) on windows box, open a MS-DOS prompt, and ftp to your Linux
box:
    ftp linux
Type in yuor userid and password, then send the file:
    bin
    put archive.file
    bye

(2) Use smbmount on the Linux box to mount the WIndows box's
drives.  I have a feeling you'll want to stick to method (1) for
now, since this is a wee bit more complicated.

>Please send e-mail.....thanks

No.  Post here, read here.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: Mice recommendations
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:38:34 GMT

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999 01:26:37 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What mice do most people recommend to use with Linux?

For a cool cat O/S like Linux, almost any mouse will do ;-)

But seriously, almost any mouse will do - I have never yet found a
mouse that didnt work in 3.5 years of working with it.

Of course, some of the fancy extensions (like the wheel) may not
be supported, but the buttons will work as usual.

And of course, if you get a serial mouse there are (sometimes)
issues with IRQ etc.

Just get a generic PS/2 mouse, and you'll be OK.  I havent had
problems even on laptops with touchpad mice or "eraser stick"
mice.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: Linux |Going over 98
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:38:30 GMT

On 4 Jun 1999 00:20:16 GMT, Wammall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello.
>
>I have a sony laptop running the pre installed 98. I have shrunk the primary
>partision down to 2 gigs, of the 4 avaliable. I want to install red hat 6 from
>cd. What hapopens to 98 if i do this and allow linux to do a workstation
>install. Will I still be able to go into 98. Do I have to do anything special
>to 98. 98 is on a FAT32 2 gig partision.

RH Linux should be able to detect automatically that you have a
bootable DOS partition on /dev/hda1.  If you answer the
install-time questions right, it will set up LILO for you so that
you can choose either Linux or DOS.

If you want your default to be Win98 (as now), you can also choose
to completely ignore LILO.  Your machine will boot into Win98
only, always.  To get to linux, you can use "loadlin.exe" and the
kernel image (both found on the RH CD - the kernel image may have
a name like vmlinuz-2.2.*)  Copy these files to your C:\.  After
that, the syntax to do this from Windows:

    - Shutdown Windows and choose the option to "restart in MS-DOS
      mode"
    - loadlin.exe vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro

Note well: that "hda2" may be different on yours, depending on how
you set up the partition.  It must be the name of the "/" (root)
partition.

>2. Can I transfer files from 98 to linux and vice versa, if so how.

I dont know about FAT32 - I think Linux will see it OK...cant be
sure.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: Masquerading: strange question
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:38:32 GMT

On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 12:32:18 +0200, Vitali Chkebelski
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have a rather strange question to masquerading under Linux.
>Is it possible to have only "ip_masq_ftp" on while for all other
>services the masquerading is not allowed (or not active)?
>
>In other words:
> a) can ip_masq_ftp modul work without starting "ipfwadm -M..."?
> b) can ip_masq_ftp modul work with "ipfwadm -M -a deny ..."?

I dont think so, but FTP uses a specific port number (21).  You
should be able to fiddle with the IP Masq rules to disable all
other ports.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: My story
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:38:36 GMT

---excerpt from another post I made just today----

---end excerpt----

>Also, does anyone have any tips on manually setting up a network in Red Hat?

The usual commands:
    ifconfig eth0 a.b.c.d
    route add -net a.b.c.0 dev eth0
    route add default gw a.b.c.x

If you have PCMCIA and DHCP it's also pretty easy - in fact I have
found it's easier than messing with linuxconf etc.  Let me know if
you need help there.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: One strange question - Can I boot Linux without Lilo ?
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:38:39 GMT

On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 05:43:10 +0800, Louie Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I want to use the OS/2 loader or Partition Magic (OS loader) instead of
>the default Lilo.
>Can I boot up my Linux without using the default Lilo ?
>
>If I make my other OS loader (like Partition Magic or OS/2 loader)
>pointing the boot-sector of my Linux partition, can I boot my Linux
>without the Lilo ?

As I understand it (and I may be wrong - if you get more definite
replies ignore mine), Linux can be booted only via LILO (or of
course loadlin.exe - but that doesnt apply to you).

What you will need to do is to install lilo on the partition boot
record, *not* the master boot record.  Then you tell OS/2's boot
loader, in whatever way that is done, to chain to this partition
boot record when linux is chosen.

A good source of info on all this, albeit a little dated and a
little detailed (neither of which is a problem) will be:

/usr/doc/lilo-0.20/doc/User_Guide.ps and
/usr/doc/lilo-0.20/doc/Technical_Guide.ps

Most running Linux system may (should?) have a copy.  Worst case I
can email you them.  Let me know.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: strange network problem
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:38:47 GMT

On 3 Jun 1999 14:27:34 GMT, Stefano Ghirlanda
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>I have upgraded from redhat 5.2 to 6.0, and I have a problem with my
>networking setup. For example:
>
>stefano: stefano> ping localhost
>PING localhost (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
>
>--- localhost ping statistics ---
>7 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Does "route -n" show up a list with this line in it?

    127.0.0.1       0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0 0 lo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: Please give me a clue how to see the internet
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:38:41 GMT

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 15:09:44 +0100, TwoSheds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've installed RH6 on an NT workstation (LILO to dual boot). I've created a
>network interface so that it can see the machines on our LAN (class C
>private network). We have a leased line and a router.
>
>How do I now make my machine see the internet. Do I need to create another
>network interface? Do I need to implement IP masquerading somehow?

Not if your NT side could see things OK.  Find out what your
default gateway is, and set up your "default route" with the route
command.

Since you mention "class C private network", you will need IP masq
to see the internet, but unless *your* linux box is the gateway (I
dont think you meant that!) that's already implemented and working
elsewhere on your network.

The basic command will be something like:

    route add default gw 192.168.1.2

if 192.168.1.2 is your default gateway.

If this doesnt make sense or help, do this on NT:

    route print

and post it here.  Also post the output of

    route -n

on your Linux machine.  Someone will be able to tell you how to
make "route -n" upto the same routing config as the one on NT.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: Problem: Duplicating HDD via LAN
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 10:38:45 GMT

On Thu, 03 Jun 1999 10:23:48 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I was trying to copy via my LAN an existing hdd on machine ("receiver")
>to a new hard disk on another machine ("spender")using following
>commands on machine "receiver":

So:

    receiver ----> spender

is that correct?

>quote
>
>cd /orig; tar cSlf - | (cd /newhdd; tar -x-v-S-p --same-owner -f -)

That means: copy everything from /orig to /newhdd

>unquote
>
>Got only a simple error message: "Broken Pipe"!
>
>I have mounted the "spender" under /orig, then I've booted

Now that confuses me.  "spender" is the destination.  You should
have mounted it under newhdd, shouldnt you?