Linux-Misc Digest #617, Volume #18               Thu, 14 Jan 99 22:13:09 EST

Contents:
  Re: Acessing binary file from the code without open(argv[0] ..) (Alan Curry)
  Re: Q: Downloading and installing Linux (Gnu Ware)
  Gimp and EPS (Christopher Dawson)
  Re: switching between 640x480 1280x780 etc ... (jc)
  Share netscape 4.5 files between linux and nt4 ("Jesus M. Salvo Jr.")
  Muliprocessor Linux (Dan DeVault)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: kde and ppp problems (Brad Beck)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. (Victor Danilchenko)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. (Arthur)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (David Kastrup)
  GIMP error: undefined gtk_set_locale (Rod Smith)
  page accounting on parallel printer (hp laserjet 6mp) (Christof Fischer)
  Re: Can one set up RAID with IDE drives? (Chris Allen)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (David Steuber)
  Re: please HELP: masquerading outgoing mail sender's ip (Christopher Dawson)
  Re: What happened to blackdown.org (Java-Linux porting project?) (Stefan Zeiger)
  3C905B Ethernet board (dumais)
  Are conditional symbolic links possible? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  UID Question (simon jordan)
  Logins denied (John M. Securda)
  Rebuild the S.U.S.E 5.3 Kernel ? (Ayoub Benbouzid)
  Nedit for w95 (Antoni Zochowski)

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Acessing binary file from the code without open(argv[0] ..)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Curry)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:14:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pedro Ribeiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can anyone tell-me how can i access the binary file i'm executing from the
>code under Linux (without open(argv[0], ...) ???

How about open("/proc/self/exe", ...)

>It should be any way to know the addresses where the binfile was paged an
>simply access them with a pointer no ??

Hmmm.

open("/proc/self/maps", ...

Or

sprintf(buf, "objdump -h /proc/%d/exe", (int)getpid());
fp=popen(buf);

--
Alan Curry    |Declaration of   | _../\. ./\.._     ____.    ____.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]|bigotries (should| [    | |    ]    /    _>  /    _>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gnu Ware)
Subject: Re: Q: Downloading and installing Linux
Date: 14 Jan 1999 09:15:43 GMT

When you write a cd under Windows, most of the CD-Recording software(even the
Gear!) will default to non-ISO. You need to write a cd in ISO format, and for
Linux with rr extensions. Also, make sure your directories are correct(keep the
structure of RedHats' ftp  listing).

non-ISO= "file name"

ISO="file_name"

But there are other formats (rr extens.) that will allow you to keep it ISO and
also the same extensions (it won't convert file.tar.gz to file_tar.gz, etc.)

Yadda yadda..I think you can get the point now

Remove "BLOCK" from my e-mail.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:15:51 +1100
From: Christopher Dawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gimp and EPS

Hi there,

I've done my time trying to look it up somewhere. When trying to save an
image in EPS format I get the error dialog

"Postscript cannot handle images with alpha channels"

Can anyone furnish a solution to this problem.

Thanks muchly in advance,

Chris.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jc)
Subject: Re: switching between 640x480 1280x780 etc ...
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 03:54:03 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:50:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>How do I switch my video modes?  I tried searching through the news groups
>with no luck, i'm sure it's simple, someone pls explain.
CTRL    ALT     +       or      -

For permanent change, do

        xf86config

or

        XF86Setup

------------------------------

From: "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: netscape.public.general
Subject: Share netscape 4.5 files between linux and nt4
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:05:53 +1100

I have netscape 4.5 installed both on nt4 and linux on a single machine.
I would like to be able to use netscape on either os and use and
maintain the same inbox, newsgroup settings, downloaded newsgroup
messages, bookmarks, etc.....

Is this possible and how?

Thanks,

John

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:34:30 -0500
From: Dan DeVault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Muliprocessor Linux

Hi,
      Does anyone know if there is a multi processor version of LINUX
available for either PPC or Intel motherboards ?

TIA,
Dan DeVault

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:19:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Morris) wrote:
> > DOS was written by somebody else
> >and Gates paid a measly $75k for it.
>
> I'm following this thread with interest.
>
> I'm curious..... what was the "idea" with
> developing DOS anyway??
>
> I mean...... why couldn't have an operating system
> like Linux be developed a LONG time ago and used
> on the early PC's and DOS could have never
> existed??

The answer to this is fairly simple.  When the first PCs came out (and I'm
not talking IBMs here, this is before that, even) they had a microprocessor
and maybe 1k of RAM.  Bill Gates invented software bloat when he wrote the 4k
BASIC, which immediately required a RAM card for those primeval PCs (I think
it was the Altair).  Now, can you imagine trying to squeeze a UNIX-type
operating system on one of those?  Really, it wasn't until 1990 and later
that PCs have had the actual capacity to comfortably run Linux.  Yeah, I
know...some of you have 386s with Linux.  But face it, if it weren't for the
software bloat and resulting increased hardware requirements induced by
Microsoft, Linux probably wouldn't have many boxes to run on.  So if Linux
ends up putting a dent into Microsoft, Bill has no one but himself to blame.

> Was DOS the only way to get an OS on such machines
> back then??
>
> I mean DOS is an OS that has been stripped of
> networking, multi-tasking, etc... right??
>
> Bottom line..... why was DOS ever born anyway??

Because it was the only OS small enough to run on those early PCs.  Maybe
calling it an OS at that point was being a little generous, but it got the
ball rolling.  As much as I dislike Gates, I think we all have him to thank
for making Linux possible.

From: Brad Beck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kde and ppp problems
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:53:24 -0800

Francesc Guasch wrote:

> Since I installed kde I cannot connect through ppp.
> The connections starts and the modem hungs in a minute.
> When kde isn't loaded ppp connects fine.
> What's up ?

Try renaming or deleting the content ofyour /etc/ppp/options file.
It worked for me.

Brad

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:32:04 -0500
From: Victor Danilchenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy

BKX wrote:

<snip>

> As far as demand goes, demand comes from people being as stupid as you
> are.  If every one was as smart as I am (IQ == 153) they'd be using
> Linux.

        <LOL> Dude, IQ is a score of your ability to do well on an IQ test. It
is somewhat correlated with that nebolous thing we call "intelligence",
but they are most definetely NOT identical.

> Gee, if  I were Harvard, I'd change my name.  DOS 3.2 was easy to
> configure because there was NOTHING to configure.  The shit they sell
> now is sold solely because DOS 3.2 wasn't half-bad and people got
> hooked.  But as far as being a genious, my IQ is still higher than
> Gates.  Maybe I should be named KING OF THE WORLD.

        If only anyone besides yourself cared about your IQ score, you could be
(although there are plenty of people with IQ higher than yours, myself
among them -- so what?)

> There is no market for Windows, everyone uses it because it's there.
> If a totally new were given the choice between an OS that crashes 5
> times an hour and one that doesn't, we all know what they'd choose.

        No, we do NOT all know what they's chose. It is a well-known fact that
technological merits do not solely determine success of a product -- the
best mousetrap does not always win. It's not nearly as simple as you
seem to think it is.

> Shows how much you know.  Linux is as commercial as every other UNIX
> and you know it.  Just because one lone company didn't create doesn't
> make it non-commercial and non-competitive.

        Non-commercial != non-competitive. Redhat Linux is commercial; SuSe
Linux is commercial; *Linux* itself is not. You cannot buy rights to it,
you cannot make it vanish due to comapny's bankruptcy, etc.

> Wouldn't you much rather have an OS impervious to virii? BTW, you
> spelled disc wrong. (Grolier's comes on a CD not a floppy.)

        "Disk" is a correct, although supposedly less frequently used,
spelling; "virii" is NOT a correct spelling (it's "viruses" -- in Latin,
"virus" has no plural form, thus pluralization is done by English
rules).
        If you decide to make a comment as asinine as yours above, the least
you could do is ensure your comment's correctness.

--
|  Victor A. Danilchenko       CSCF support  |
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]       A313, 5-4231  |

------------------------------

From: Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:54:56 -0800

Andres Soolo wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > interrupts for DOS ints instead. I believe PCDOS 1.0
> > even included a mechanism to duplicate CP/M's 'call 5',
> > in addition to int 21 for system services, as well

> In fact, I have seen int 21 at PSP:0005 under MS-DOS 6.20.
> Also, the `int 21' functions resemble so closely the CP/M
> `call 5' ones that I could create working assembler programs
> for CP/M 2.29 on an ancient Z80-based machine with 64K of RAM [1]
> using a MS-DOS (I think it was for 3.0, but not sure)
> programming manual ;-)
>
> Don't know about the so-called DOS 7.0 and DOS 7.10 that
> hide themselves behind win9[58] but the backwards
> compatibility over even so many years is a very strange
> thing. Who'd like to comment?

When I first started writing for DOS, I used FCB's
and some of the other PSP stuff for file access,
bevcause I knew how to do this stuff from CP/M.
Probably a lot of other people did as well. I suspect
there is a lot of legacy software that would break
if MS eliminated this. Talk about an OS based on 70's
technology ...

[snip]

> Somewhat offtopic for the thread, but I hope this suits for
> c.o.l.a - and if it doesn't, just say :) - I was under 10 then.
> An interesting fact: I happened to like the BASICF's (an
> integrated BASIC editor/spellchecker/interpretator/compiler)
> editing mechanism that was quite like that of vi's. The
> bob/bill/whoever's vision isn't a very original one.

Perfect Writer for CP/M had EMACS key bindings too (in
the early 80's), and there was package that added Unix
style commands to CP/M (cp, mv, ls, etc.).

> Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Below you can see an invisible tagline.

Yes, but please restrict it to 4 lines in the future.

Arthur

------------------------------

From: David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
Date: 14 Jan 1999 16:28:17 +0100

"Netnerd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote in message ...
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Mading) writes:
> >
> >> Netnerd ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >> :
> >> : Would you believe the publisher was the Consumer Federation of America?
> >>
> >> Good.  You're halfway toward providing a reference.  Now tell
> >> us where to find the write-up of this poll.
> >
> >No.  He is halfway toward slandering the Consumer Federation of
> >America, and lending legitimity to a something paid for by an
> >"unnamed" source and conducted by a wacky organisation with the name
> >"Consumers for a Sound Economy" which advocate a Wild West economy and
> >state structure.
>

> How could I have slandered the Consumer Federation of America?  I did not
> say they were the publisher.  I was asking a question.  See the question
> mark.

Would you believe that the actual sentence mark or grammatical
construct does not clear you of slandering accusations when the
context implies that an insinuation is intended?

Would not everybody by now believe that it is a definite and by now by
you quite convincingly demonstrated fact that you are nothing more
than a nonsense blabbering idiot not possessed by any brain worth noting?

--
David Kastrup                                     Phone: +49-234-700-5570
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Fax: +49-234-709-4209

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: GIMP error: undefined gtk_set_locale
Date: 15 Jan 1999 02:13:27 GMT

Hi,

I've been trying to get the GIMP working on my system with limited
success.  I'm running Red Hat 5.2, and have tried both the version that
comes with it and the latest stable version (1.0.2-1, in RPM format) from
the GIMP's web site.  I can run the program fine as root, but when I try
it as an ordinary user, I get the following:

gimp: error in loading shared libraries
: undefined symbol: gtk_set_locale

Here's what rpm reports my having for various packages:

gimp-1.0.2-1
gimp-libgimp-1.0.2-1
gtk+-1.0.6-3

I've tried searching for anything related to locale or LOCALE in my home
directory, thinking that this might be set strangely in some startup file,
but with no success.

If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.  Thanks.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christof Fischer)
Subject: page accounting on parallel printer (hp laserjet 6mp)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:38:47 GMT

hi!

i want to use a linux server for printing and i need page accounting.
to do page accounting it is necessary to read the page counter
of the printer. therefore you need a bidirectional interface like
serial interface or jetdirect.

i want to use the parallel interface of o pc.
is it possible to use a bidirectional parallel interface to read
the page counter?

i tried ifhp filter with LPRng package and didn't have sucess.

thanx
christof fischer

------------------------------

From: Chris Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Can one set up RAID with IDE drives?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:49:53 -0500

David S Spear wrote:

> I've got two 6Gb drives and would like to mirror them using RAID1.  Does
> anyone know if there are IDE RAID controllers out there and if so who
> makes them?  I am running RedHat5.2
>
> thanks
>
> dave
===============

Promise technology makes a controller that will let you do that.  I
believe there are problems in getting it to work with linux though.
They also make a stripeset card.  With NT, you can do "Software" RAID.
I know it won't help, but I'm just bringing it up to show that it
doesn't take hardware to create a RAID array.  NT can do Striping,
mirroring, and I believe Stripesets with parity.  I'm not sure about the
last one, but I've used the first two.  The mirroring saved me once
(drive failure).

Chris

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 14 Jan 1999 19:48:29 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Mathers) writes:

-> Most consumers think it is normal for their computers to crash at
-> least once a day - and, as such, that nothing critical ought to be
-> done on such a system.

I gotta confess that I haven't seen Windows 95/NT crash that often.  I
switched to NT when 95 kept crashing when running the VC++ 4.2
debuger.  The problem there was that once VC++ went down, so did all
the other running instances and I had to reboot to start a new one.

Other people have had different experiences.

I don't think the stability issue should be the first one brought up
when someone asks, "why Linux?"  It is a good point, but it will only
matter to IT people running small servers.

The real issue is, what do you want to do with the computer?  For me,
Linux supports some features that will probably never make it into
windows.  It also has a much nicer set of GUIs for it, IMHO, and CLI
shells.  Linux can be customized to suit MY needs.  It reflects MY
personality.  I don't even run a canned kernel.  I compiled my own.

There is a HOWTO on Linux advocacy.  Not the newsgroup, on advocating
Linux.  I think more people should read it.  Religous zelotry isn't
going to make people switch.  You have to show people cool things you
can do on Linux that they can't do on Windows.  They have to want to
do those things to switch.

I think there is a cliche that fits the point pretty well.  It's the
applications, stupid.

I also like, "It's free, stupid"

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

"Hackers penetrate and ravage delicate, private, and publicly owned
computer systems, infecting them with viruses and stealing materials
for their own ends.  These people, they're, they're  terrorists."

-- Secret Service Agent Richard Gill

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:53:39 +1100
From: Christopher Dawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: please HELP: masquerading outgoing mail sender's ip

Burp!

First of all, good luck!

Second, comp.mail.sendmail (from a fallible memory) is full of extremely
helpful people.

Third, I have unsuccessfully tried do something similar (but more through
lack of effort rather than lack of ideas zzzzzz) and can tell you a
little.

Try http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html

It sounds like you need the MASQUERADE_AS stuff if you want
outgoing messages to appear to have come from yourISP.com rather than
yourmachine.whatever

This is added to the /etc/sendmail.cf file, which is produced using the M4
macroprocessor. The above URL should fill you in on the details (in other
words, I can't)

Let me know if you win ;-}

Chris.

------------------------------

From: Stefan Zeiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.help
Subject: Re: What happened to blackdown.org (Java-Linux porting project?)
Date: 13 Jan 1999 23:02:24 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ulrich Teichert) wrote:

> >I tried to access that URL when I first read in this group that
> >it's not available anymore. I could not access it. I just tried
> >it again and it still is not available.
>
> I checked it right now and it's OK.

> a traceroute:

> A nslookup:

Nobody said that the domain was no longer registered or that the
server didn't answer, but the old *content* is gone.

--
Stefan Zeiger <szeiger{at}usa.net>  ICQ#27864587  http://szeiger.home.pages.de
NetForge Web Server for the Java Platform:    http://www.novocode.com/prod/nf/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 14:32:38 -0800
From: dumais <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3C905B Ethernet board

Could anybody out there tell me if the subject board is

supported by Linux.  I am having trouble with RH5.1, Linux

Kernel 2.0.34 recognizing this board.  When I try to run

ifconfig, I get an error saying that eth0 cannot support

the operation.  My ifconfig statement looks like the following:

        ifconfig eth0 myhostname.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Are conditional symbolic links possible?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 02:24:19 GMT

Is there any way whatsoever (even a quick and dirty way) to make netscape see
libc.so as pointing to one version of libc, while other programs linked to
libc.so see it as pointing to a different version? Perhaps this is not
possible directly, but could a shell script successfully accomplish this
while letting apps that use the two different versions co-exist peacefully?

I figure that the reason I am having so many headaches with
Netscape could be that it's linked to use libc 5.4.22, whereas
I have 5.4.44 on my system.  I don't want to erase my current
version of libc because many programs depend on it (i.e. all the
programs I currently have installed).  If anyone has any idea
how I could use two versions of libc on the same system, please
enlighten me.

From: simon jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: UID Question
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:16:32 +0000

I appologise if this is the wrong group,
How many UID's does Linux support I need a UID of 85000 but my Version
of Redhat does not support it is there a version that does?

Thanks
Simon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John M. Securda)
Subject: Logins denied
Date: 15 Jan 1999 02:30:58 GMT

My linux box won't let me log in as any user except root. I did some
poking around in the man pages and found out about the /etc/nologin file.
So I deleted it. I still can't log in. Is there anything else I can do to
fix this problem?
        Thanks
         John

--

John M. Securda          |  AEA F97
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    |  404.206.4070

------------------------------

From: Ayoub Benbouzid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Rebuild the S.U.S.E 5.3 Kernel ?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:05:11 +0000

Hi all,
Can any body give me the procedure
Thinks

From: Antoni Zochowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.editors
Subject: Nedit for w95
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:30:15 +0100

Could someone tell me, how to make Nedit for W95 to work with
MI/X free Xwindows server ? The available package is configured
for Exceed, but there is mention of running it also under
MI/X. The MI/X alone works fine.