From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Thrashing HD
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 01:03:34 +0200

Dave Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>I am currently using Mandrake 7.2. After 15 min of use, the hard drive
>>begins to thrash about for no obvious reason. I maybe online or using a
>>word processor program, it doesn't seem to matter . Often the thrashing

> I probably shouldn't speculate, not being a Mandrake user, but it sounds
> like anacron is kicking off something like an updatedb process.  (qv).

This is hardly going to take more than 5 minutes. He says it goes on
forever! Perhaps he should have a look with "top" to see what is
running.

> Longtime unix users are familiar with the cron daemon which runs
> regularly scheduled jobs, specified to run at exactly the times
> configured--often at 4 a.m.  But what if a machine is always turned off
> over night?  That job will never run.

Easily solved by running the job on _a different machine_ );-).

From: "Jeffrey J. Bacon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: 2 quick news server questions
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:18:11 GMT

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.help Jeffrey J. Bacon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 1. in order to have a server feed you news, do they have to configure
> > them selves to do it? or can I configure my news server to retrieve the
> > new articles for me? (ie. can it be a pull system or does it have to be
> > push?)
>
> Both or either. If they don't mind letting you log in to read the news,
> you can always set leafnode to fgetch the articles from the ordinary
> client port. That should be minor league dataflow.
>
> On the other hand, a full newsfeed is not a trivial thing. It requires
> collaboration from both sides.

I'm just getting a few newsgroups to host locally, how do I do this with
INN 2.3?

> > 2. this message is in my /var/log/messages:
> > ... su: innmail: MTA executable doesn't appear to exist:
> > /usr/sbin/sendmail
> > but the sendmail program is there however owned by root and not readable
> > by everyone.  Should I chmod a+r to the sendmail file?  or is this bad
>
> It should at least be executable by everyone! +r or not should not be
> relevant,
>
> > practice? how to avoid this message?
>
> Why do you care?

I assumed it was bad

--
Jeffrey Bacon
Java Programmer Extrordinaire!

------------------------------

From: Franek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:49:04 GMT

Brent R wrote:
> No way man, you're wrong ... everything that's computer-related must
> look like a web-page... if it doesn't then you're just behind the times.
> The factory worker's will be soooo much more productive if they feel
> like they're searching the web,
Oh yea, yeah, now I see I was wrong, of course, yeas, just think of it, the factory
workers will be able to shop on-line while operating their favorite lathe! Kewl, dude.
check how their stocks are doing, transact their banking online, make a reservation at
favorite restaurant in Seattle, stare at some nekkid broads while them forklifts are
running wild around. Read some unimaginative crap on Salon-dot-com. Productivity will
soar
that's for sure. That's the end of the shop floor as we know it.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 23:59:24 GMT

In comp.os.linux.help Jeffrey J. Bacon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.help Jeffrey J. Bacon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > 1. in order to have a server feed you news, do they have to configure
>> > them selves to do it? or can I configure my news server to retrieve the
>> > new articles for me? (ie. can it be a pull system or does it have to be
>> > push?)
>>
>> Both or either. If they don't mind letting you log in to read the news,
>> you can always set leafnode to fgetch the articles from the ordinary
>> client port. That should be minor league dataflow.
>>
>> On the other hand, a full newsfeed is not a trivial thing. It requires
>> collaboration from both sides.

> I'm just getting a few newsgroups to host locally, how do I do this with
> INN 2.3?

You don't. Use leafnode, as I suggested. Inn can also serve out of the
leafnode dirs, but I've not found it to be as convenient as letting
leafnode serve.

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to measure elapsed time?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:13:29 -0700

Chris Coyle wrote:

> time, as in
>
> $ time command args ...
>
> see
>
> $ man time

I read the man files before posting.  Unintelligible.  I tried
experimenting without luck.

--
I use GNU/Linux and support the Free Software Foundation. This message was
composed and transmitted using free software, licensed under the General

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:15:07 -0700

Bill Unruh wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> ]What is the simplest method for measuring elapsed time?  For example,
> ]starting a script or program, or executing a command, and measuring the
> ]time it takes to complete?
>
> time command arguments

I read the man page before posting.  Unintelligible.  Nothing I tried
worked.

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:14:29 -0700

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:17:39 -0700

William Burrow wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:52:14 -0700 in comp.os.linux.misc,
> MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>What is the simplest method for measuring elapsed time?  For example,
>>starting a script or program, or executing a command, and measuring the
>>time it takes to complete?
>
> man time
>
> e.g.
> time ls
> 0.020u 0.060s 0:00.27 29.6%     0+0k 0+0io 191pf+0w
>
> Took about a quarter of a second, using 29.6% of the CPU.  (In this
> case, about a fifth of a second was waiting on disk.)
>
> BTW, do you know about apropos?

Thanks for the example.  That's what I needed.  I assume this will work
using a script in place of a bash command?

From: Lars Oeschey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Procmail default directory
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 02:26:22 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently trying to make a mail-server out of my linux box (SuSe
7.0). It should work with IMAP, so the mails will stay on the server.
I have fetchmail working so far, getting my mails via POP3 from my
provider. Now I found that procmail stores all the mail in
/var/spool/mail, which is on my root disk. I want it to be stored on
another disk, since it can get big I guess. Where do I set the default
folder for procmail? Without compiling procmail from source?;)
And are there perhaps any hints on setting up IMAP? I found the binary
of impad on my system, but some HowTo would really be helpful....

Lars

------------------------------

From: "Jeffrey J. Bacon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:52:24 GMT

> > I'm just getting a few newsgroups to host locally, how do I do this with
> > INN 2.3?
>
> You don't. Use leafnode, as I suggested. Inn can also serve out of the
> leafnode dirs, but I've not found it to be as convenient as letting
> leafnode serve.

Damn, you mean I spent all afternoon messing with INN for nothing?

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 02:43:36 +0200

MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bill Unruh wrote:

>> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> ]What is the simplest method for measuring elapsed time?  For example,
>> ]starting a script or program, or executing a command, and measuring the
>> ]time it takes to complete?
>>
>> time command arguments

> I read the man page before posting.  Unintelligible.  Nothing I tried
> worked.

This is what it says:

     If the *time* reserved word precedes a pipeline, the elapsed
     as  well as user and system time consumed by its execution
     are reported when the pipeline terminates

And it defines pipeline as:

     Pipelines
       A pipeline is a sequence of one or more commands separated
       by the character |.  The format for a pipeline is:
       [time [-p]] [ ! ] command [ | command2 ... ]

So I don't see how it could be misconstrued! You have the trivial case
of a pipeline of one command. So no pipe (vertical bar) symbols.A It's
just. You also don't want the optional negation symbol. I haven0t the
faintest what -p means, but it's optional, so so you just want:

       time command

for values of command ranging  from echo hi, to make bzImage.

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:10:24 -0500

"franek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I could never understand this enamoration with HTML-based interfaces.
There's a good case
> for using HTML in a normal web-based environment, but why the hell one
would want to use
> this crude and slow method in a standalone system is beyond me.

Well, there are a lot of reasons why one might want to do this.

1)  rollout of new versions is effortless.  Just install the new pages,
scripts, etc.. and it just works the next time they load a page.  You can do
this by centralizing the apps in a traditional environment as well, but then
you have to get everyone to exit their processes and reload.  This isn't
something you would want to do automatically because users might have a page
up for a specific reason, and killing it on them could be disasterous.

2)  You can use very low-end hardware for terminals (win 3.1 boxes even).

3)  If you have Macs, PC's, Unix machines, etc.. they can all use the same
app without changing it, and without resorting to Java.

4)  You get nice features "for free", such as the ability to open multiple
windows effortlessly and show different information, the ability to use the
"back" button to go back to previous data, etc..

5)  You can let your sales staff access the information on the road easily
(and again, you don't have to get them to load new versions of the apps or
force them to download large apps when things are updated, etc..)

Of course many of these things can be done other ways, but HTML just makes a
lot of it easy and simple to implement.

> Maybe they're influenced
> by Microsoft with their huge "innovations" like "look at your desktop as a
web page"! Wow.
> End of desktop as we knew it. What you need on a factory floor is an
industrial
> air/water-tight enclosure with a freaken touch screen (which you can
purchase either built
> into the strengthened box itself--there are products like that--or as a
hardware add-on)
> and then a normal, fast-responding gui like Qt, or anything at all really.
Just make sure
> your buttons are really HUGE, so that you can easily poke them with a
gloved finger. Btw,
> these pokes come through as mouse clicks, so, programmatically, it is
kinda mouse-driven.

Depends on the kind of factory it is.  If it's a PC assembly line, the
terminals aren't in very heavy duty environments.  Also, the system is used
by more than just people on the shop floor.  It's used by sales staff, order
entry people, RMA people, accounting, HR, inventory, shipping/recieving,
etc...

------------------------------

From: Todd Knarr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Procmail default directory
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 01:20:41 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Lars Oeschey
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> another disk, since it can get big I guess. Where do I set the default
> folder for procmail? Without compiling procmail from source?;)

I believe that typing 'man procmailrc' and hitting the Enter key will
enlighten you. Specifically the section on environment variables, and
in particular the MAILDIR and DEFAULT variables. You might also want
to check 'man procmailex' and /usr/doc/procmail-$VERSION/examples ( if
it was installed on your system, RedHat at least puts the examples
from the procmail distribution in there ) for example recipes.

--
Collin was right. Never give a virus a missile launcher.
                                -- Erk, Reality Check #8

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: 15 Apr 2001 21:35:26 -0400

In article <_DrC6.3490$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>"franek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I could never understand this enamoration with HTML-based interfaces.
>There's a good case
>> for using HTML in a normal web-based environment, but why the hell one
>would want to use
>> this crude and slow method in a standalone system is beyond me.
>
>Well, there are a lot of reasons why one might want to do this.

all the reasons you give describe a thin client arrangement, i.e. a client
that only does the user interaction and communication with the server.  that
doesn't mean it has to be html

hs

"The cheapest pride is national pride.  I demonstrates the lack of
characteristics and achievements you can be proud of.  The worst loser
can have national pride"  - Schopenhauer

------------------------------

From: Bart Friederichs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ZIP100 not having correct major or minor number
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 08:50:15 GMT

Hi,

I have a parallel port ZIP100 (first generation) and after installing my
IDE/ATAPI CD-Writer it didn't show up in 'cdrecord -scanbus' anymore.
Now, for some dark reason (I think turning my parallel port to Normal
and back to ECP/EPP did the trick) it show up in the listing. But, when
I try to mount /dev/scd4 (as this should be the ZIP partition on the
disk) it moans about /dev/scd4 not having correct major or minor number.

Can anybody first tell me what that major/minor numbers are exactly (or
tell me to RTFM and point me to that FM) and what they should be. A
transcript of cdrecord en /dev follows:

root@thorax:/home/bart# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord blabla
scsibus0:
0,0,0   0) 'PHILIPS ' 'PCRW804  '       ' 1.1'  Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0   1) *
.. snip ..
scsibus1
1,0,0  100) *
.. snip ..
1,6,0  106) 'IOMEGA ' 'ZIP 100 '        ' D.06' Removable disk
1,7,0  107) *

TIA
Bart

The internet is a too slow way of doing things you'd never do without
it.
                                              Bart Friederichs, 1998

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 16 Apr 2001 02:08:01 GMT

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 08:50:15 GMT, Bart Friederichs staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>I have a parallel port ZIP100 (first generation) and after installing my
>IDE/ATAPI CD-Writer it didn't show up in 'cdrecord -scanbus' anymore.
>Now, for some dark reason (I think turning my parallel port to Normal
>and back to ECP/EPP did the trick) it show up in the listing. But, when
>I try to mount /dev/scd4 (as this should be the ZIP partition on the
>disk) it moans about /dev/scd4 not having correct major or minor number.

/dev/scd4 is the 5th SCSI CD-ROM connected to the system.
/dev/sda4 is the 4th partition on the first SCSI disk connected to the
system.

I think you want /dev/sda4 for using a parport ZIP disk.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!